Reign in Blood review by Slayer

• Released: Oct 7, 1986
Slayer: Reign in Blood

Reign In Blood is one of the best thrash CD's up there. I won't claim this to be Slayer's best; I like most of their CDs a great deal (yes, I even enjoyed Diablus In Musica). Anyway, the CD itself is revolutionary however, think about it. I wasn't around in 1986, but it seems to me that with the lyrics that are in "Angel Of Death," "Raining Blood," "Post Mortem" and practically the whole CD, they are some of the, if not the most brutal lyrics for 1986. And not only that, but the extreme riffage of Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman absolutley are unmatched at the time. Slayer also manages some of the weirdest BPM changes, especially in raining blood. It goes from 178, to 214, then back down to 188, then they launch into 247 at the end. Peice By Peice, track #2, also has one of the coolest riffs I've heard.

Well, it's Slayer. Brutality Plenty. Agnel Of Death starts, which describes the experiments by Josef Mengele on Aushwitz Prisoners, followed by Peice By Peice, which I interpet as manical killing. Necrophobic is one of the most brutal songs made, ever. Followed is Altars Of Sacrifice, the average Slayer song lyrically wise. Jesus Saves is another highligt of the album, basically bashing the church, and the Christianity religion in itself. Crimanlly Insane comes after, which lyricslly (and musically), I do not enjoy this track. It's just off. To me, anyway. Reborn isn't my favorite either, but it's still pretty damn cool. Again, very Slayer-esque with witches and revenge. Epidemic and Postmortem are two songs I normally don't listen to, actually. By this point, you want to hear Raining Blood, the song that defines thrash metal. Honestly, I find the lyrics stupid, but the song just kicks utter ass. As I mentioned earlier, the riffs and speed just make you want to kill something.

Overall, this is up there with Slayers' best. This is claimed to be the CD that defines thrash metal and revolutionized the thrash metal scene. Overall, in my opionion, "Angel Of Death," "Necrophobic," "Peice By Peice," "Jesus Saves" and of course, "Raining Blood" are the 'shining' tracks on this album, however it's extremely awesome in its entirety. If this CD was stolen, I would probaly hunt down whoever stole it, reinact Necrophobic, and get my CD back.