Seasons In The Abyss review by Slayer

• Released: Jan 1, 1990
Slayer: Seasons In The Abyss

Slayer is quite possibly one of the eeriest thrash metal bands ever. Even when it's fast and heavy, it feels like something's creeping up on you. And it is, a ginormous solo courtesy of Mr Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman. I've always described the solos in Slayer the noise you'd hear during the apocalypse, and nothing's changed here, hold onto your most precious belongings, hold your breath, and headbang while hoping you're going to live after this album. Brilliant. Actual album production is damn good too.

As with most of Slayer's songs, the lyrics deal with stuff about death and satan and christian-hating and what not. Well we've got some of that here, definitely fitting in with the eerie instrumentals. Also, the first song, War Ensemble, deals with the subject of war, and by not putting it into a specific context, makes the lyrics timeless. Tom Araya's usual excellent heavy screamings are still up to scratch, and, what still surprises me about this band, unlike any other thrash band like this, still audible!

People still hold Reign In Blood in high regard as one of the greatest metal albums of all time. In my opinion, it was made purely with headbanging in mind, and sounds quite similar the whole way through. Seasons In The Abyss, however, I think is Slayer's best album, as the songs on it are quite diverse, and just thrash presented in a number of ways, it's like a 'Best Of' Slayer fitted into ten songs. The first song on the album, the headbang anthem War Ensemble hits you like a machine gun with that amazing riff, and keeps you rockin' until the next song where you get a bit of a break. The rest of the songs just blend into the next (but in a good way) and host a wide selection of brilliant eerieness and plain old headbangin' material, right up until the title track, the final song on the album, which as soon as it starts presents itself as an epic song (just like Raining Blood does) and you know it's going to be good, you have to listen to it for yourself to understand what I mean. If it was lost or stolen, I'd headbang my way to the house of the git who nicked it, demand he plays it as loud as his stereo will go, listen to the whole album then take it and headbang home again. Every Slayer fan must own this album, whether it means pillaging, stealing, selling your soul to satan or whatever means possible, get hold of this album. Judge, I rest my case (and my aching neck).