Seasons In The Abyss review by Slayer

• Released: Jan 1, 1990
Slayer: Seasons In The Abyss

This Slayer's 1990 album Seasons In The Abyss. I'm gonna get right down to the details here. I've always thought of this album as having a mathamatical formula. Reign In Blood + South Of Heaven = Seasons In The Abyss. It's not quite as fast and hardcore as Reign In Blood but not quite as slow and haunting as South Of Heaven. It's sort of in between. But seriously, this album a great speed/thrash metal album and is a fan favourite. The album has crushing guitar tones from axe men Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King and an intense, thundering drum sound courtesy of Dave Lombardo. Sadly though, this will be the last album from Dave until the new album gets released.

The lyrics on this album aren't much different than previous efforts by Slayer. Seasons In The Abyss has songs about serial killers (Dead Skin Mask), war (War Ensemble), the occult (Born Of Fire) and violence (Expendable Youth). Tom Araya's voice has improved so much since Slayer's 1983 debut Show No Mercy. He has developed his own unique style. He's a pretty good singer, I have no complaints anyway. I think though that the lyrics aren't as "Slaytanic" as other albums. I prefer the older Slaytanic lyrics from Show No Mercy or Hell Awaits but these do fine.

Seasons In The Abyss is a great first-time Slayer album. I suggest you buy it if you all ready haven't. It is one of the best metal albums of the '90's and still holds up to todays metal. I think the real stand outs on this album are War Ensemble with it's complex riffs and quick solos, and Spirit In Black. Spirit In Black has the best lyrics and best riff on this album. The only problem I have with this record is the cover art which I find quite dull. So I guess I have no problems with the actual musical content on this album. Just go out and buy this you will not regret it it's one of the best albums from one of the best bands. Praise, hail Slayer!