Seasons In The Abyss review by Slayer

• Released: Jan 1, 1990
Slayer: Seasons In The Abyss

Slayer is one of my favorite metal bands of all time, especially with their most genious album, the album that I think pioneered thrash metal more than any, which is obviously Reign in Blood. Seasons in the Abyss is another genious album. It retains much of the speed from Reign in Blood, but still slows down at times. It keeps the slayers soloing that they truly showed for the first time on Reign in Blood. The riffs are pretty catchy, especially Expendable Youth, Dead Skin Mask, and Skeletons of Society, more so than anything from their older albums.

The lyrics are the same as any Slayer ablum: violent, vicious, satanic, death/murder related, etc. Slayer's musical style fits the themes conveyed in those lyrics. They are pretty good lyrics, but maybe they should try something slightly different. But who knows, maybe that wouldn't work because it would be quite strange of Slayer to try other things than Satanist lyrics. Overall, the lyrics are pretty tight, and they get you up and energetic to go out and kill a person or two.

Overall, this album is just amazing. It retains all the slayer you know from the '80s into the '90s, with some even catchier riffs than they ever did before. Like I mentioned before, some of the best riffs on the album are found in Expendable Youth, Dead Skin Mask, and Skeletons of Society. Skeletons of Society is a very simple but still very catchy riff. I think its actually blues based with the progression. Tom araya's voice is as good as ever on this album, if not better than before. I think its a big improvement from South of Heaven especially, because I think the vocals were slightly weaker there than on the other albums. This album is one that all slayer fans and all metal fans should take time to listen to because its really a master piece.