Seasons In The Abyss review by Slayer

• Released: Jan 1, 1990
Slayer: Seasons In The Abyss

Seasons In The Abyss is definately Slayer's most all rounded sounding album. At times, Reign in Blood was too fast and cluttered, and South of Heaven was too quiet and slow. But Seasons is both of them slammed into one, kind of like a greatest hits album. The fast songs, "War Ensemble", "Spirit In Black", "Hallowed Point", and "Born Of Fire" are breathtaking, skillful and very inventive. "Blood Red" and "Temptation" are slowed down in pace, still very inventive, while slow burners "Expandable Youth", "Dead Skin Mask", "Skeletons Of Society" and "Seasons In The Abyss" are arguably the most catchy. Also, Tom Araya returns to his growling/screaming after the calmer, but slightly disappointing singing vocals on South Of Heaven.

Some of Slayer's more thoughtful lyrics, the sort of lyrics that make you think "What?", and then hours, or even days later you finally get it, and think "Oh my god, that's friggin' brilliant!". Again, Tom's return to growling is a big improvement over South of Heaven's soft singing. The lyrics definately fit with the music, and not a single line sounds out of place.

Easier to listen to than Reign, more exiting to listen to than Heaven, more entertaining to listen to than Divine Intervention, and just better than Hell Awaits, plus it beats everything else they made. Here is my views on the songs: 01. War Ensemble - one of the faster songs from the album, and one of Slayer's overall best. As a song about war, this compares to South of Heaven's Mandatory Suicide. Definately a track pick. 02. Blood Red - one of the best riffs from the whole album, this song about a massacre is one of Slayer's "Greatest Misses". It is a fan favourite but it doesn't deserve a place in any greatest hits albums. 03. Spirit In Black - Seasons In The Abyss' MySpace song, this is one of the most evil songs on the album. One of Jeff and Kerry's best solos. If I had to compare it to a song on Reign In Blood or South Of Heaven, it would be Live Undead on South of Heaven. 04. Expandable Youth - they must love war, because this is the fourth song from two albums that is based on it. Anyway, one of the slower songs on Seasons, and definately one the most catchy. 05. Dead Skin Mask - this may be one of their best songs, a fixture in their gigs, and one of their most recognised songs, but it isn't as good as it is made out to be. Brilliant, but not my favourite. 06. Hallowed Point - yes. One of the most sophisticated songs from Seasons, second only to War Ensemble, this blistering head rape is a definate greatest hits collection anthem. The only setback is the first solo. He sounds like he's half way through a verse when the song bursts out into a random solo. And it doesn't even sound good! 07. Skeletons Of Society - a wierd song. Not wierd as in the content of the song, wierd as in the fact it's everyones favourite, but no-one would put it on a greatest hits album! Shame, since it is really catchy and addictive. 08. Temptation - on nearly every album I own, there is a song or two that I never really seem to get into. Temptation is smart and imaginative, it's just the switching side vocals don't really do anything for me. 09. Born Of Fire - blisteringly fast, Born of Fire has all the makings of a classic. Based on the life of a phoenix, the best and most riddling lyrics on the album can be found here. Another track pick. 10. Seasons In The Abyss - slayer songs usually have some form of catchiness, but if they were all placed in order of how much you can love listening to it and how much it gets stuck in your head, then this would be a strong contender for the crown. Slow burning, fast becomes a favourite.

PLOP
    I personally think this is the best slayer album (not including DOAL-thats my personal fave). Even kerry says that for this album he purposely wrote in key using theory and stuff to musically its the best
    fr33t0m
    This is the album that really got me into Slayer. Great mix of melody and pure ripping speed. There are no filler songs on this album, and it deserves to be listened to over and over... and over. Once the outro of Seasons In The Abyss fades you'll know Slayer got it 100% right with this album. Buy Seasons in the Abyss and Reign in Blood and get ready to visit the emergency ward for severe whiplash! 9.9/10
    wildchild6660
    bass_emagdnim wrote: I think in some ways it's better than Reign In Blood. There's still nothing that beats hearing Angel of Death that 1st time round though... I remember it well.
    Yeah me too. I'm not like an insane fan of slayer, but Angel of death certainly got my attention
    postmortemspasm
    wtf is wrong with all of u ppl's brains????? u make it out to be the best thing since double kicks??? get over it its not that great
    ibanez159
    I like the songs on Reign in Blood more, but as a whole, this album is much better.
    McMetal
    This album turned me into a slayer fan. With songs like Dead skin mask, expendable youth, seasons in the abyss, war ensemble, and skeletons of society, how ca you not like it. This album is among my top ten favorite albums of all time. Hail Slayer
    bass_emagdnim
    broly_the_best6 wrote: Angel Of Death is just the best song i ever heard in my life. When people ask me what kind of music I listen to, I make them listen to this song and I can see in their face that he/she takes me for a psycho...
    point taken.
    newman13
    This is the first Slayer album I ever heard so I compare all of their other albums to it. This is a great album and one of my top 5 of all time. The title track is one of my top 5 favorite songs as well.
    broly_the_best6
    bass_emagdnim
    Afroboy267
    Blood Hawk wrote: THIS ALBUM KICKS REIGN IN BLOODS ASS!
    Blood Hawk you need help or your ears checked either way is good
    IronMaiden8991
    This album is great, Slayer at their very best. War Ensemble and Expendable Youth are my personal favorites from this album.
    wildchild6660
    Problem is, most of the other songs are kind of dull. Hell awaits is better overall IMO but I have yet to listen to seasons in the abyss. Will post again after doing do.