Seasons In The Abyss review by Slayer

• Released: Jan 1, 1990
Slayer: Seasons In The Abyss

This is a pure, and insane thrash metal album. Slayer was able to (in my opinion) top Reign In Blood with their efforts on Seasons. It has a wider variety of sounds, as in it slows down just a little bit at parts. Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman sound incredible on this album, producing some of their best solos and riffs. Tom Araya holds true to his title as "The Voice Of Hell" and Dave Lombardo holds the beat with mind-blowing drumming throughout the album. Truly a must own for any Slayer fan.

Tom Araya out does himself yet again. With lyrics about war, society, death and serial killers, Seasons displays some of Araya's best work. And just to open things up, King chipped in, writing a few lyrics of his own while Hanneman co-wrote a couple with Araya. The lyrics fit great with Slayer's thrashing guitar riffs, creating a more mythical, evil effect. The "crowning moment" if you will of the album (lyric wise) may come during "Dead Skin Mask", with references to serial killer Ed Gein. Throughout the album, Araya stands strong to defend his title as "The Voice Of Hell" with razor sharp, crisp vocals. This is truly a work of art.

I personally think of this as the best Slayer album. Yes, even better than Reign In Blood. It's fast, loud, abbrasive, but still has it's moments. The best songs are "War Ensamble" (which is my favorite Slayer song), "Expendable Youth", "Dead Skin Mask", and "Seasons In The Abyss". I love this album, there really isn't a bad song. A few are just OK, but the rest are classics. If it were stolen, someone's corpse would be found very soon. Summing up, a must own for any Slayer or metal fan.

Billy Picken
    fenderbender_1
    angel of death, dead skin mask and seasons in the abyss have to be their best songs. I reckon raining blood is overrated. It doesnt have any structure liike the other songs Other than that SLAYER RULLLEEEESSS !!!!!
    mtllica
    I love this album, definitely my favorite Slayer album, Reign in Blood comes a close second, but Seasons perfectly mixes South of Heaven and their faster shit
    530-333-1962
    Billy Picken wrote: No structure like the others? Man, you obviousely have never seen Slayer live. Raining blood is an anthem.
    Slayer's probably the worst band when it comes to live shows.
    530-333-1962
    You slayer fans are all idiots to be honest... King can't solo worth shit and the voice in every ****ing song in monotonous and carries an annoying, hard to listen to beat of it all. yes, singing about murder and blood makes you the most badass heavy metal band there ever was, man how ****ing high are you?