Seasons In The Abyss Review

Slayer: Seasons In The Abyss
Released: 1990
Genre: Rock
Styles: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Seasons In The Abyss is probably their most accessible album, displaying the full range of their abilities all in one place, with sharp, clean production.
 9.3
 9.6
 8.9
 2,641
Seasons In The Abyss Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2006

Sound: Seasons In The Abyss is definately Slayer's most all rounded sounding album. At times, Reign in Blood was too fast and cluttered, and South of Heaven was too quiet and slow. But Seasons is both of them slammed into one, kind of like a greatest hits album. The fast songs, "War Ensemble", "Spirit In Black", "Hallowed Point", and "Born Of Fire" are breathtaking, skillful and very inventive. "Blood Red" and "Temptation" are slowed down in pace, still very inventive, while slow burners "Expandable Youth", "Dead Skin Mask", "Skeletons Of Society" and "Seasons In The Abyss" are arguably the most catchy. Also, Tom Araya returns to his growling/screaming after the calmer, but slightly disappointing singing vocals on South Of Heaven. // 10

Lyrics: Some of Slayer's more thoughtful lyrics, the sort of lyrics that make you think "What?", and then hours, or even days later you finally get it, and think "Oh my god, that's friggin' brilliant!". Again, Tom's return to growling is a big improvement over South of Heaven's soft singing. The lyrics definately fit with the music, and not a single line sounds out of place. // 10

Overall Impression: Easier to listen to than Reign, more exiting to listen to than Heaven, more entertaining to listen to than Divine Intervention, and just better than Hell Awaits, plus it beats everything else they made. Here is my views on the songs: 01. War Ensemble - one of the faster songs from the album, and one of Slayer's overall best. As a song about war, this compares to South of Heaven's Mandatory Suicide. Definately a track pick. 02. Blood Red - one of the best riffs from the whole album, this song about a massacre is one of Slayer's "Greatest Misses". It is a fan favourite but it doesn't deserve a place in any greatest hits albums. 03. Spirit In Black - Seasons In The Abyss' MySpace song, this is one of the most evil songs on the album. One of Jeff and Kerry's best solos. If I had to compare it to a song on Reign In Blood or South Of Heaven, it would be Live Undead on South of Heaven. 04. Expandable Youth - they must love war, because this is the fourth song from two albums that is based on it. Anyway, one of the slower songs on Seasons, and definately one the most catchy. 05. Dead Skin Mask - this may be one of their best songs, a fixture in their gigs, and one of their most recognised songs, but it isn't as good as it is made out to be. Brilliant, but not my favourite. 06. Hallowed Point - yes. One of the most sophisticated songs from Seasons, second only to War Ensemble, this blistering head rape is a definate greatest hits collection anthem. The only setback is the first solo. He sounds like he's half way through a verse when the song bursts out into a random solo. And it doesn't even sound good! 07. Skeletons Of Society - a wierd song. Not wierd as in the content of the song, wierd as in the fact it's everyones favourite, but no-one would put it on a greatest hits album! Shame, since it is really catchy and addictive. 08. Temptation - on nearly every album I own, there is a song or two that I never really seem to get into. Temptation is smart and imaginative, it's just the switching side vocals don't really do anything for me. 09. Born Of Fire - blisteringly fast, Born of Fire has all the makings of a classic. Based on the life of a phoenix, the best and most riddling lyrics on the album can be found here. Another track pick. 10. Seasons In The Abyss - slayer songs usually have some form of catchiness, but if they were all placed in order of how much you can love listening to it and how much it gets stuck in your head, then this would be a strong contender for the crown. Slow burning, fast becomes a favourite. // 10

Seasons In The Abyss Reviewed by: SGofawesome, on january 29, 2010

Sound: Slayer is mostly known for their biggest metal album of all time, and the highest-rated metal album, Reign In Blood. Over the years, Slayer has accomplished many things with Reign in Blood, but how about the great achievement they created with Seasons In The Abyss? Personally, I like this better than Reign In Blood, no question. The riffs are way catchier, the lyrics are much better, and the solos actually make sense. In other words, this album, is an educated Slayer. This album is probably the most mainstream Slayer, but it still has the classic Slayer sound. Better than any album by Slayer in every way. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics? Well for one thing, you can actually understand them now. The lyrics are better than ever, the only time he comes close to speed is War Ensemble, and you can still understand him easily. The lyrics are typical Slayer, killing, antireligion, serial killers, communism, and the apocalypse. The only one that isn't about one of these is Expendable Youth, which is about gangs getting in wars. Vocally, Tom Araya has really improved, his sound actually has some tone, not just talking. I love his voice in this album, too bad he went back to his old singing, he should've stuck with it. Araya isn't very skilled, up until this. This is a classic album, and it's easy listening, if you're a slayer fan, that is. // 9

Overall Impression: I'll break it down song by song... 01. War Ensemble: the opener of the song starts out with a classic Slayer riff, and it Slays (sorry for the extremely corny pun). Goes into a speed riff, into a solo right off the bat from Hanneman, another sweet solo. Then, it goes into a sweet thrashy breakdown, reminds me a bit of postmortem. Then another solo, by King this time. It's even better than the first. The drums from Lombardo are just blistering here, the double bass god shows his wrath here. Truly amazing, for any thrash/death metal fan. 10/10 02. Blood Red: the intro riff is incredibly amazing, one of the best Slayer riffs in my opinion. Then the vocals take over, and they really take over. The lyrics are amazing and the singing is killer. Very, very catchy song. Solos are the normal Slayer though, so if you don't like normal Slayer, the solo isn't for you. 9/10 03. Spirit In Black: another extremely cathcy riff, and when the vocals come in, all comes together. The chorus is just amazing, the singing isn't singing though, it's talking. The verses are incredible, I could play it on my iPod all day. This is actually a really good solo, very mapped out, so if you don't like normal Slayer solos, try this. Then, it comes to an even thrashier breakdown, then another solo, but this one is even more incredible. It ends with a sweet thrash tom beat, and closes this incredible song, I wish I could see it live soo bad. 9.5/10 04. Expendable Youth: easily the catchiest riff of all Slayer. This song is amazing in every way, if you learn this on the guitar, you will be hooked immediately. the vocals are incredible, his voice actually changes tone in this song! The solo is also very memorable, mapped out about 50% of the way, then the rest is thrown out there, but really fits. Amazing song in every way. 10/10 05. Dead Skin Mask: the slowest song on the album, more groove metal than thrash or death, and it really fits in with the album. The lyrics are easily the best here, but the opening riff really takes away from the whole song. After the opening riff, an amazing orgasmistic riff comes in and takes over and leads you through the whole song. the solo is memorable, Kerry really worked on this one. I like it, but could've been better. 9/10 06. Hallowed Point: an extreme Slayer song, speed throughout, the lyrics aren't too special, nor the vocal talent. Sounds like it's off of South of Heaven. 7/10 07. Skeletons Of Society: incredibly catchy, right behind Expendable Youth. The drums are my favorite in this one, even though they're extremely simple. the guitar is amazing also, one of my cover songs actually. Very groove metal-like, the lyrics are sweet here, Kerry's backups are sweet as well, the solo is very mapped. Just what this song needs. 9.5/10 08. Temptation: another normal Slayer song, thrashy and the vocals are pretty good actually, but the lyrics are extremely recycled. The second worst on the album, just ahead of Hallowed Point, but it's still pretty cool. Solo is a terrible effort though. 8/10 09. Born Of Fire: ANOTHER normal Slayer song, but this one is actually better, but the lyrics aren't special. The Vocals are terrible, but the breakdown is cool. It's a good listen once in a while, especially when you're feeling angry. Has the worst solo on the whole album though. 10. Seasons In The Abyss: the best song on the album is the last, and it is the 3rd best Slayer song ever, behind Raining Blood and Angel of Death. Has the most ominous riff to ever exist as the intro. The it goes into an even more ominous acoustic riff. Then the verse, and it just blows you away. Tom can really belt it here! The chorus is amazing in every way, this song easily has the best lyrics out of the album. The best solo ever by Slayer. The gong is sweet, which I forgot to mention in Expendable Youth. The best performance ever by Lombardo. An amazing song in every way.I forgot to mention, there's two versions of this song, the one on the original album has a better solo, the other is slightly different. 10/10 The only thing I didn't like about this album is Hallowed Point. If they left that out, this would be pure gold. If I lost this album, I would freak out and go kill someone.

e
b
g
d-----------------------2-0-0-1-0-0
a-----------------------2-0-0-1-0-0
e-0-2-3-0-2-3-5-0-2-3-0------------
Amazing riff. That is all. // 10

Seasons In The Abyss Reviewed by: ollerom_mot, on february 07, 2005

Sound: Slayer is quite possibly one of the eeriest thrash metal bands ever. Even when it's fast and heavy, it feels like something's creeping up on you. And it is, a ginormous solo courtesy of Mr Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman. I've always described the solos in Slayer the noise you'd hear during the apocalypse, and nothing's changed here, hold onto your most precious belongings, hold your breath, and headbang while hoping you're going to live after this album. Brilliant. Actual album production is damn good too. // 10

Lyrics: As with most of Slayer's songs, the lyrics deal with stuff about death and satan and christian-hating and what not. Well we've got some of that here, definitely fitting in with the eerie instrumentals. Also, the first song, War Ensemble, deals with the subject of war, and by not putting it into a specific context, makes the lyrics timeless. Tom Araya's usual excellent heavy screamings are still up to scratch, and, what still surprises me about this band, unlike any other thrash band like this, still audible! // 8

Overall Impression: People still hold Reign In Blood in high regard as one of the greatest metal albums of all time. In my opinion, it was made purely with headbanging in mind, and sounds quite similar the whole way through. Seasons In The Abyss, however, I think is Slayer's best album, as the songs on it are quite diverse, and just thrash presented in a number of ways, it's like a 'Best Of' Slayer fitted into ten songs. The first song on the album, the headbang anthem War Ensemble hits you like a machine gun with that amazing riff, and keeps you rockin' until the next song where you get a bit of a break. The rest of the songs just blend into the next (but in a good way) and host a wide selection of brilliant eerieness and plain old headbangin' material, right up until the title track, the final song on the album, which as soon as it starts presents itself as an epic song (just like Raining Blood does) and you know it's going to be good, you have to listen to it for yourself to understand what I mean. If it was lost or stolen, I'd headbang my way to the house of the git who nicked it, demand he plays it as loud as his stereo will go, listen to the whole album then take it and headbang home again. Every Slayer fan must own this album, whether it means pillaging, stealing, selling your soul to satan or whatever means possible, get hold of this album. Judge, I rest my case (and my aching neck). // 10

Seasons In The Abyss Reviewed by: autumnskyguitar, on march 04, 2006

Sound: This is there follow up to the "South Of Heaven" album, in which they experimented with slower tempos and were ridiculed for it. As expected they came back nearly, but not quite, as heavy and aggressive as "Reign In Blood." Most of the album is extremely heavy and up tempoed. However, there are some tracks that are of a slower pace. "Dead Skin Mask" was a slower paced song in certain areas, and "Seasons In The Abyss" was heavy yet melodic. This is my favorite Slayer album, and probably gives "Reign In Blood" a run for its money as their best record. If you are just getting into Slayer music pick up either this album or "Reign." // 10

Lyrics: Slayer's lyrics, as usual, are very dark in this album. The first song is "War Ensemble," which is an anti-war track. "Dead Skin Mask" tells the story of infamous necrophile/murderer, Ed Gein. Most Slayer songs are about murder, hell, war, etc. They don't stray from that on this album. Tom Araya's voice is one of the best in metal, and it sounds great on this record. Usually Araya attacks the lyrics with a higher pitched screaming voice, sort of like Phil Anselmo of Pantera. On this album there is less screaming and more singing, but only on the slower songs. The track "Dead Skin Mask" has a recording of a child's voice in the background towards the end, and apparently an imitation of Gein in the beginning. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best thrash/heavy metal albums I've ever heard. I love every song on this album. Very few artists can capture such a high quality of music in every song. Usually on an album there will be a song or two I don't care for (like "Holier Than Thou" on Metallica's Black Album). For those metal heads out there this is an amazing display of speed and power. Don't buy this album if you are offended by some of the darker topics of music, though. I would never want to lose this album, because I would just have to keep buying it. I would never give up "Seasons In The Abyss." // 10

Seasons In The Abyss Reviewed by: steveCFH, on april 08, 2006

Sound: This Slayer's 1990 album Seasons In The Abyss. I'm gonna get right down to the details here. I've always thought of this album as having a mathamatical formula. Reign In Blood + South Of Heaven = Seasons In The Abyss. It's not quite as fast and hardcore as Reign In Blood but not quite as slow and haunting as South Of Heaven. It's sort of in between. But seriously, this album a great speed/thrash metal album and is a fan favourite. The album has crushing guitar tones from axe men Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King and an intense, thundering drum sound courtesy of Dave Lombardo. Sadly though, this will be the last album from Dave until the new album gets released. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album aren't much different than previous efforts by Slayer. Seasons In The Abyss has songs about serial killers (Dead Skin Mask), war (War Ensemble), the occult (Born Of Fire) and violence (Expendable Youth). Tom Araya's voice has improved so much since Slayer's 1983 debut Show No Mercy. He has developed his own unique style. He's a pretty good singer, I have no complaints anyway. I think though that the lyrics aren't as "Slaytanic" as other albums. I prefer the older Slaytanic lyrics from Show No Mercy or Hell Awaits but these do fine. // 8

Overall Impression: Seasons In The Abyss is a great first-time Slayer album. I suggest you buy it if you all ready haven't. It is one of the best metal albums of the '90's and still holds up to todays metal. I think the real stand outs on this album are War Ensemble with it's complex riffs and quick solos, and Spirit In Black. Spirit In Black has the best lyrics and best riff on this album. The only problem I have with this record is the cover art which I find quite dull. So I guess I have no problems with the actual musical content on this album. Just go out and buy this you will not regret it it's one of the best albums from one of the best bands. Praise, hail Slayer! // 9

Seasons In The Abyss Reviewed by: nirvana4lf, on april 10, 2006

Sound: Slayer is one of my favorite metal bands of all time, especially with their most genious album, the album that I think pioneered thrash metal more than any, which is obviously Reign in Blood. Seasons in the Abyss is another genious album. It retains much of the speed from Reign in Blood, but still slows down at times. It keeps the slayers soloing that they truly showed for the first time on Reign in Blood. The riffs are pretty catchy, especially Expendable Youth, Dead Skin Mask, and Skeletons of Society, more so than anything from their older albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the same as any Slayer ablum: violent, vicious, satanic, death/murder related, etc. Slayer's musical style fits the themes conveyed in those lyrics. They are pretty good lyrics, but maybe they should try something slightly different. But who knows, maybe that wouldn't work because it would be quite strange of Slayer to try other things than Satanist lyrics. Overall, the lyrics are pretty tight, and they get you up and energetic to go out and kill a person or two. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is just amazing. It retains all the slayer you know from the '80s into the '90s, with some even catchier riffs than they ever did before. Like I mentioned before, some of the best riffs on the album are found in Expendable Youth, Dead Skin Mask, and Skeletons of Society. Skeletons of Society is a very simple but still very catchy riff. I think its actually blues based with the progression. Tom araya's voice is as good as ever on this album, if not better than before. I think its a big improvement from South of Heaven especially, because I think the vocals were slightly weaker there than on the other albums. This album is one that all slayer fans and all metal fans should take time to listen to because its really a master piece. // 10

Seasons In The Abyss Reviewed by: Page/Rhoads, on june 28, 2008

Sound: This is a pure, and insane thrash metal album. Slayer was able to (in my opinion) top Reign In Blood with their efforts on Seasons. It has a wider variety of sounds, as in it slows down just a little bit at parts. Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman sound incredible on this album, producing some of their best solos and riffs. Tom Araya holds true to his title as "The Voice Of Hell" and Dave Lombardo holds the beat with mind-blowing drumming throughout the album. Truly a must own for any Slayer fan. // 10

Lyrics: Tom Araya out does himself yet again. With lyrics about war, society, death and serial killers, Seasons displays some of Araya's best work. And just to open things up, King chipped in, writing a few lyrics of his own while Hanneman co-wrote a couple with Araya. The lyrics fit great with Slayer's thrashing guitar riffs, creating a more mythical, evil effect. The "crowning moment" if you will of the album (lyric wise) may come during "Dead Skin Mask", with references to serial killer Ed Gein. Throughout the album, Araya stands strong to defend his title as "The Voice Of Hell" with razor sharp, crisp vocals. This is truly a work of art. // 9

Overall Impression: I personally think of this as the best Slayer album. Yes, even better than Reign In Blood. It's fast, loud, abbrasive, but still has it's moments. The best songs are "War Ensamble" (which is my favorite Slayer song), "Expendable Youth", "Dead Skin Mask", and "Seasons In The Abyss". I love this album, there really isn't a bad song. A few are just OK, but the rest are classics. If it were stolen, someone's corpse would be found very soon. Summing up, a must own for any Slayer or metal fan. // 10

Seasons In The Abyss Reviewed by: SearchTheSkies, on december 10, 2008

Sound: I personally think that this is Slayer's best album out there. Every song on the album is amazing. Unlike the album Reign in Blood, I think Seasons in the Abyss is completely different. This album is absolute pure thrash metal. The solos played on this album are great, and a lot of them aren't just going nuts and hitting notes, especially the songs Dead Skin Mask, Hallowed Point, and Seasons in the Abyss. Every song is put together perfectly, making you want to bang your head to almost every part. If you're just starting to get into Slayer, I highly recommend taking a listen to some of the songs off this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album I think are brutal. They involve death, religion, gore and war. The lyrics tie in perfectly with the album's theme and mostly the whole thrash metal scene. Tom's vox are the perfect screams and growls for this album. I like his vocals on Reign in Blood a bit more though. Every time I take a listen to Seasons in the Abyss, I sometimes will even start singing along with the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: I believe that this album is unique in it's own way, and in my opinion, dosen't really compare to most thrash metal artists out there. I can't think of any other band that has pulled of Slayer's sound. It does somewhat compare to the other Slayer albums like Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, and Divine Intervention. Some of the best highlights of the album are War Ensemble, Spirit in Black, Dead Skin Mask, and Seasons in the Abyss. I really don't hate anything about this album. It is a great album. I would be very mad if it was stolen, even lost, and I would then have to go get another copy because it is such a classic album. // 10

Comments