Undisputed Attitude review by Slayer

• Released: May 28, 1996
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Slayer: Undisputed Attitude

This one is a weird album. It's kind of cover album but it also has their own songs. Covers are from different punk songs and you can tell it easily by looking at the length of songs - 6 first songs, each one lasts less than 2 minutes. So basically it's just punk with Tom Araya in lyrics. Even their own songs, "Ddamm" and "Can't Stand You", are pretty punk stylish. I have only listened to "Reign In Blood" and "South Of Heaven" albums, so I don't know did they change their style, but this doesn't sound anything like Slayer. Even the "Gemini" song, which seems to be only serious one, sounds more like Metallica.

Singing is pretty much yelling and screaming. Not typical Araya style. Well, at least he can sing fast. Can't really say much about this. I guess this gives a bit more aggressive sound to songs. I really don't listen punk except Sex Pistols so I don't really know do they scream their lungs out in Punk.

Only thing I can say is... Was this some kind of joke? Or something they just wanted to do for fun. If you're looking for thrash metal, turn back. This is just a punk cover album with 3 Slayer songs which aren't even good. I also don't like the sound of guitars or the drums in this album. It gives me some kind of "Metallica in 2000's" feeling. I would only recommend this if you wanted to hear punk with Araya singin.

krvolok
    It's a tribute album,with -- if I remember well -- one Slayer song called Gemini.The rest are covers and Hanneman's song from his punk days. "I'm gonna be your God" guaranties action.
    YgO
    I have to disagree with this review. I'm dating myself here, but I've been a Slayer fan since the Reign In Blood days and got this Undisputed Attitude album back when it came out. I loved it. One of my favorite Slayer albums. I thought it was really cool that they covered some of the music that helped influence them and much of the thrash scene, including Minor Threat, who was not mentioned here. It's fun to hear these songs with even more balls then the original versions. This wasn't meant to sound like a typical Slayer album, so it doesn't. It seems to be okay with most people for Metallica to pay tribute to their influences, as they've always done, but not Slayer? Slayer has stuck to their sound, perhaps more than any other metal band. I think if anybody had earned the right to experiment with something different mid career it was them. That's just my opinion. I think it may be to metal for some punk fans and too punk for some metal fans, but if you like both, you might like it. Check it out and decide for yourselves.
    SumFX
    Crap review. If you're going to review something, make sure you know what you're talking about.
    postmortem2006
    I have to say, giving something a pretty bad review and then giving it an 'okay' score is a bit nonsensical
    swave75
    You know what...maybe Slayer should make another album like this. It is a pretty good one.
    Necrotise
    You clearly missed the point of the album entirely. Its not meant to be a Slayer album its meant to be a punk cover album by Slayer. If you were expecting Reign in Blood you are an idiot.
    zannibal
    I have to agree that it wasn't my brightest idea to make this review Too bad I can't delete it. Did you guys by any chance read the last part anyway? I clearly state it's a punk cover album. But for some reason I reviewed as a Slayer album. Oh well, no one's perfect.
    zannibal
    I knew it's gonna unleash a god damn hell! Postmortem, you're right. I think I gave a bit too much scores... I'm kind of stuck in 4-10 rating system.. Necrotise, if you for some reason think I was expecting Reign in Blood, you are an idiot. I never said I was expecting it. I'm not saying that bands can't try out something new, but I just didn't like it. I got the album with South of Heaven (some 2 in one pack thing) and saw there was no reviews for it so I made one. And yes, in the beginning I said that it's a cover album, so I do know that this is a cover album. But as I said before I knew it's like digging your own grave when you give bad review for Slayer album. Feel free to write your own review, this was just my opinion .
    fraberjam
    Well you openly admit to have only listened to Reign In Blood and South of Heaven (which Reign in Blood draws HUGE punk influence), so you're not entirely knowledgeable of Slayer's career and style. You also speak about Tom Araya "shouting" his vocals. The style he sings on this album is the same as he has done on any other Slayer album. The only album he kinda sings on is their first album Show No Mercy. Furthermore, only knowing the Sex Pistols as "punk" would truly make this album seem ridiculous. Look into the bands they cover and you'll see why they would pay homage to them. I have no issues with your opinion of this album, but if you're going to write a review at least have some better information and background knowledge of the band before writing something where you seem to not know what you are talking about.
    YgO
    Also, the "I'm Gonna Be Your God" is a cover of punk pioneer's, The Stooges, "I'm Gonna Be Your Dog".
    andriusd
    If you're looking for thrash metal, turn back I strongly disagree with this statement. When I was a teenager and just getting into thrash metal, when I heard this record it blew me away. I thought, "Now THAT's THRASH metal!". That's why thrash metal has "thrash" in the name. I mean, Judas Priest, Motorhead and other metal influences don't have that element in their music, and that's why they aren't considered thrash metal. Thrash metal is a combination of influences from metal and hardcore punk, and the thrash element comes from hardcore punk. Of course there are thrash metal bands that are less punky, but Slayer - being one of the most prominent thrash metal bands - was very heavy on the punk side on their genre defining "Reing in Blood".
    mvho6760
    This is a raw interpretation of music from the punk rock scene in the 80's , and I think that Slayer did those cover songs some justice and exposed the similarities of these two power driven styles of music. I can't think of a better band to record an album like this and pull it off to the level that they did. More metal bands need to trace their roots in the musical family tree & give punk rock the credit it deserves because neither genre of music would exist without influencing eachother. What came first heavy metal or punk rock? The Stooges vs Black Sabbath? I thought it was The Beatles who first earned the dubious stigma of being punk rock !