War At The Warfield [DVD] review by Slayer

• Released: Jul 29, 2003
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Slayer: War At The Warfield [DVD]

Slayer IS Thrash Metal. They're speed is uncanny, they're power is unholy and they're lyrics are sinister. Slayer, in terms of music, is evil personified, and in a good way I might add and this document from the God Hates Us All Tour IS the definitive Slayer live anything, counting albums and DVD releases. Tom Araya is on top of his game on this show, His raspy voice is perfect for Slayer, he only has one blooper and that's his epic fail on the scream of Angel of Death, but you have to consider, Tom is getting up there in age. (note: this is probably why he doesn't even attempt the signature scream anymore), nonetheless he sounds amazing. Kerry and Jeff are still cranking out the fatest and heaviest riffs ever heard and Paul Bostaph, while not quite as good as Mr. Lombardo, is a God at Drumming.

Content — 9
This DVD is from Slayer's 2001 God Hates Us All Tour. It features the live concert as well as some footage of fans (...we'll discuss this later...) and the "Bloodline" music video. The tracklist consists of: -Disciple: The Perfect opener I might add, I absolutely love this song -War Ensemble -Stain of Mind -New Faith -Postmortem -Raining Blood -Hell Awaits: Note that "Postmortem", "Blood" and "Hell Awaits" are played continously, like a medley of sorts -Here Comes the Pain -Die By The Sword: nice to see a track from "Show No Mercy" -Dittohead: Tom can still sing as fast as ever -Bloodline -God Send Death -Dead Skin Mask -Seasons in the Abyss: these two tracks are sort of a medley, as when "Mask" is complete, the fast riff from "Abyss" hits. I call this segment the "Seasons" Medley -Captor of Sin -Mandatory Suicide -Chemical Warfare -South of Heaven -Angel of Death As you can see, the set is AMAZING and you won't find a better set on another Slayer live release. Now for the only part of this WHOLE DVD that sucks... The segment with the fans. What in the world were they thinking? These segments include interviews and footage of fans... Stupid... Stupid fans or at least that's what this producer wants us to believe. These segments give Slayer fans a bad name. You can tell they only picked the strangest and craziest of fans for these segments. I love Slayer and I don't sacrifice my neighbors dog, wear Satan Loves Me shirts, and committing Necrophilia. Not only are these bits bizarre and somewhat degrading, they also interrupt the show at a few points.

Production Quality — 10
The quality of this disc is great. Not much else I can really say. It sounds amazing cranked up. All the instruments blend perfectly together as they should. The guitars don't overthrow the vocals or the drums (which sometimes happens on Live releases). The picture looks great, especially for a concert from the early 2000's. This is by far the closest thing to seeing Slayer live.

As I said before, THIS IS THE GREATEST SLAYER DVD, and perhaps the greatest live Slayer experience. The most impressive thing to me is the track list, absolutely amazing. I love the track list, I love the energy, I love Tom's "commentary" in between songs. If this were stolen I would definitely buy it again

Gabe.mail
    I was at that show, my first slayer pit. Jumped in for mandatory. Suicide. They ****in killed it that night. R.I.P Jeff