World Painted Blood review by Slayer

• Released: Nov 3, 2009
Slayer: World Painted Blood

My only concern leading up to the release of World Painted Blood was the fact it was overseen by the same production team behind Metallica's recent Death Magnetic. I enjoyed Death Magnetic, however it was mixed poorly in my opinion. Fortunately, after listening to World Painted Blood for the first time, I was greeted by the same furious head-popping metal that Slayer has always delivered. Araya, King, Hanneman, and Lombardo pull out absolutely everything for this album. Of course you get traditional face-melting thrash songs (Unit 731, Snuff, Hate Worldwide, Public Display of Dismemberment, Psychopathy Red), but I was pleasantly surprised to find slower, moodier songs that remind me fondly of the South of Heaven and Seasons era (World Painted Blood, Beauty Through Order, Human Strain, Playing With Dolls). Also, though most find it unimportant, I'm very pleased that the majority of the album is tuned to Eb rather than drop B (or whatever it was they used on God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion). It's vintage Slayer, and I f--king love it.

Tom Araya actually sings a lot on this album, again hearkening back to the South of Heaven and Seasons days. I loved it - Araya can send chills down your spine when he wants to. There is no shortage of balls to the wall yelling, though. In particular, Psychopathy Red is one of the most impressive Araya performances I've heard in years. Lyrically, I'll break it down song by song. No surprises here really, just typical Slayer fare. It's all very, very metal. 01. World Painted Blood: written as a quasi-sequel to Final Six, this song essentially describes the horrors of the Mayan apocalypse. Mix of slow parts and thrash. Lots of tasty gore. 02. Unit 731: this is essentially the Pacific version of Angel of Death. Unit 731 was a Japanese Imperial Army special ops unit that specialized in chemical/biological warfare and disturbing human experimentation. The scream of "What are your final thoughts" at the beginning of every chorus has already become iconic amongst my friends. Pure thrash song. Describes atrocious acts and warfare. 03. Snuff: pretty straightforward. The song describes the grotesque nature of snuff films. Pure thrash - even more gore. 04. Beauty Through Order: written about Elizabeth Bathory, a medieval countess whom is generally recognized as the first prolific female serial killer. Mix of slow parts and thrash. Expect buckets of blood and bit of religious mockery. 05. Hate Worldwide: strictly an anti-religion song. Unfortunately, it really fails to stand out lyrically against legendary songs like Disciple and Cult. Still fun to listen to, though. Pure thrash. 06. Public Display Of Dismemberment: semi-political. Mostly thrash. This songs feels like an excuse to show off every stupidly difficult thing Dave Lombardo can do on a drum set, rather than a lyrically invigorating piece. 07. Human Strain: describes an unnamed super-disease that wipes out mankind. Slower, moodier song. Very haunting. 08. Americon: Slayer's attempts at political music have never impacted me too greatly, but this one's alright. Still a little too ambiguous though. Hard to describe genre-wise...it's almost industrial metal, really. 09. Psychopathy Red:written about infamous Russian serial killer Andrei Chikatilo. Pure thrash, horrifying and gruesome - an instant classic. 10. Playing With Dolls: I can't really pinpoint exactly what this song's about, but it's absolutely demented. It's seemingly about a mortician who indulges in deviant behavior with his bodies. More of a slow, creepy song. Very disturbing. 11. Not Of This God: another anti-religious song, which as previously stated fails to stand out among Slayer's back library of God-hating music. Not that there's anything wrong with some good old-fashioned soul crushing, God-hating metal.

To put it simply, Slayer knows how to deliver. This, just like every other album with the original Slayer lineup, is an unabashed thrashterpiece. Beauty Through Order is my personal favorite song on the album - Human Strain and Psychopathy Red being close behind. But it's all f--king metal, and it's all f--king awesome. Final Verdict. I cannot stress enough how much of a Slayer album this is - as in, if you've never liked Slayer, World Painted Blood will do nothing to change your mind. But for hardcore Slayer fans such as myself, this is as brilliant as it gets. A must-buy.

Themadisraeli
    here is the thing. Slayer has changed, but Slayer changed by devolving, not progressing, and this album is just such horse shit. None of the riffs are good at ALL! These are songs written by a 13 year old, or Slipknot. Anyone who thinks this band has it in them anymore is a total idiot and should realize Slayer died after Divine Intervention. Who here seriously HASN'T written the verse riff to World Painted Blood? This isn't even good thrash on a standard sort of hey this is done well note, its just shit shit shit shit shit!
    deluded_reality
    The last good album Slayer put out was Divine Intervention. Everything else since then is shit. This one is no exception.
    Last_Hope
    I personally hate slayer... but my friend bryan says : it got a 9/10! should have gotten a 10! ITS A FREAKIN MASTERPIECE! SO I BELIEVE HIM!!!!! UPGRADE IT TO A 10 NOW!!! OR SO HELP ME!!! haha.
    Cafas
    I love Slayer, and I still think it's a shitty album. I dunno how anyone in their right mind can listen to an album like Hell Awaits and then put this on and like it just the same. But hey, if you consider God Hates Us All a great metal album, the last two should go hand in hand for you.
    Rimfrost
    i dont see why people hate this one, fans almost always want the bands to back to their roots, and honestly ive never heard anyone pull it off exept on this album. This is probably the closest you will ever get to a classic 80s thrash sounding album nowadays. Im not the greatest slayer fan, but i think this one has some nice moments. Like Playing with dolls, really like that one, and reminds me a little of the sound from seasons
    Duybi
    Sure this album will never meet up to the expectations of pre-Seasons, but still, it is a nice album nevertheless considering they are at least 50 or something now. It's Slayer to describe at best and if you don't like it then go to your 21st century junk that doesn't even deserve to be called Metal. In my opinion, Metal died a long time ago. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
    dogratdemise
    well....i must say...other that random and pointless solos, it was a purty solid album
    TheEsupremacy
    strat07 wrote: The only thing that i liked was the guitar tone in the self-titled song and the references in Playing with dolls and Jihad. Slayer suck big time with musicanship.
    Post some clips buddy. Lets hear you do better. OBVIOUSLY you've NEVER seen this band live, or bothered to pay attention.
    TheEsupremacy
    My favorite Slayer cd in a decade. Killer riffs, lyrics, musicianship, guitar tone(s), production, etc: If you don't like (or can't appreciate Slayer) you're NOT METAL!
    Your41Plague12
    I think this album absolutely stomps Christ Illusion, one of their best in a long time. Definitely worth the money. Good old-fashioned Slayer.
    Zero_Soomdrag
    humperdunk : if you wan't more of the same, buy it. If you want to hear a band that's progressed in the past 15 years, don't.
    i think you dont have a single fu**ing clue of what the hell you're talking about son
    strat07
    Themadisraeli
    "It's definitely not their best album. Bust it's not their worst IMO Undisputed Attitude was much worse..." I love how someone brings up a album full of COVERS to make this album better than it is.
    Unispex
    I don't know why everybody is bitching about this album. What, has it become cool to rip on Slayer now? I personally find this to be their best album since Seasons.
    exile166
    This album is horrible. I've lost what little bit of faith I had left in Slayer.
    Paramecium302
    Paradox5 wrote: Bad production! 9 in sound? Get outta here
    I thought the same thing, the sound was dead as a doornail Really good album writing though, I could tell there's some sic stuff on it, Psychopathy Red in particular, but Rick Rubins shitty producing ruined it for me. it was a step up from Christ Illusion even still.
    Zakattak264
    good slayer album. got it hot off the press on the third. if you dont like slayer, dont listen, youll just end up whining like a bitch the whole time. deats the sgit out of death magnetic. i wonder if Anthrax will put an album out.
    'TallicaRules
    MotörHeadFan22
    Moomar
    jonathan_5150 wrote: i hate this thing, same sound, and no memorable tracks. just random shred.... riffs that are unmusical and boring.... the lyrics can be nice, but tom does a sub par job of singing them. and kerry's still allowed to solo, pathetic..... can't wait to get flamed for this.
    +1 the solos sound like "the" kid thatl be "shredding" when you walk into a guitar shop. poor!
    DIV ON!
    the sings sounds, slayer at their best, awesome, cant wait to buy album
    The Krusher
    I think this album is average at best. The guitar production is the biggest let down of all. Just once I would like to hear Slayer with a great modern guitar production. Amplifier and Production recording quality has vastly improved over the years, why hasn't Slayer caught up? (have a listen to Testament or Tankard if you don't believe me!!!) I think we might have seen the best of Slayer a while ago. The last few albums have been pretty lackluster and seem to lack something that the previous albums had. Maybe they should go back and listen to what originally influenced them and try again. World Painted Blood= FAIL!!!
    Tomo009
    SolidState85 wrote: I think this album is significantly better than christ illusion. This album has a similar groove as older albums such as seasons of the abyss or south of heaven, but it does not sound forced like in Christ Illusion...and i think im first
    Oh that sounds awesome, Seasons is my favorite Slayer album so I hope WPB kicks as much ass.
    SlIPKnOtFan2009
    i think the album is pretty good. not there best,**** that, but it has some pretty amazing songs. i coundt really pick there best but if i had to pick a favorite id say a tie between Seasons, South of Heaven, Reign in BLood or Hell Awaits.
    queenslander47
    alkalineweeman wrote: ninjagayden777 wrote: +1 When bands mess with their sound it almost always ends up with a legion of pissed off fans. *St. Anger cough cough* And at least they're not like AC/DC who write the same eight songs over and over again with new lyrics and a solo. You're right, if Kerry has anything to do with it they wont even bother writing a new solo.
    check and mate. from what i've heard this album isn't bad, nothing to get overly excited about but still an enjoyable listen
    Idiot_Son
    i'm not even a slayer fan, but i really like this album. I was able to listen to it from start to finish without getting bored, which is more than i can say for Christ Illusion, or anything other than Reign in Blood...
    RUSTDOGG666
    this album kicks ass and I play it all the time. perfect 10. they didnt disappoint me at all on this.
    Abyssous
    slipknot_420 wrote: Its the truth, check it out for yourself in the guitar world interveiw with slayer. King does all the guitar playing in recording i believe he says because its easier for him to record both parts, and that him and hanneman dont have that great of a recording chemistry!
    I find that strange lol, but fair enough
    Paradox5
    This album is so very mediocre. Testament, Exodus, Megadeth and Kreator piss on and rape slayer.
    Tomo009
    'TallicaRules wrote: Slayer gets a lot of shit because their music didnt change or "evolve" as bashers say. Metallica gets flamed a lot because their musical style evolved too much! just a thought.
    you can't win, people get accustomed to what they hear first and base everything off that. being young and missing the 80s, I got a wide selection of albums from these bands from the start so I tend to like it all, whereas I'm sure I'd be with them if I was there for the beginning.
    JFRules
    Baboulai wrote: I go to school in halifax and Slayer just postponed their show that was SUPPOSED to be monday. f**cking brutal. slayer megadeth and machine head. I'm gonna go cut myself.... goodbye cruel world
    lol ya same for me for the Montreal show. I find that the last good album was Divine Intervention. All other have been ok but not the same. I`m getting old maybe who knows. But the new album does have a old school slayer sound
    hamsteroceros
    humperdunk wrote: if you wan't more of the same, buy it. If you want to hear a band that's progressed in the past 15 years, don't.
    You know what I want? I WANT people to graduate from high school with the capability to spell common four-letter words! That being said, of course it's more of the same, genius. King has said in multiple interviews that Slayer has a formula and Slayer fans have certain expectations and that the band isn't ever going to screw with either. Certain other thrash bands have "progressed" in the past and most would argue that it hasn't gone well, but then again you strike me as a Load/Reload kind of guy...
    K!!LsWiTcH
    Abom wrote: Jhnny wrote: Every review I see says that this is an amazing album bla bla bla... But I don't think I'll give it a listen. God Hates us All is extremely boring album and just bullcrap compared to their older stuff, and so is all the other stuff that they have made after that album, so I don't see any reason why this album would ge good. In my opinion Slayer sounds more like a Metalcore band than a Thrash band nowadays... Go on fanboys, start whining already. Sorry, but that's just my opinion. But old Slayer... Brilliant stuff, especially Hell Awaits, excellent Thrash album. How the hell can you bash the album without even bothering to listen to it?
    how can you say slayer is a metalcore band? ive heard 2 song off of this album and im sorely disappointed.
    Abom
    How the hell can you bash the album without even bothering to listen to it?
    bloodbath519
    I like all there albums. I think God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion are not great but still pretty good. This one sucks. Totally worthless album.
    alkalineweeman
    Another paint by numbers bore-athon, how can this band keep releasing the same songs with different titles and get away with it? Slayer is good music to vacuum by maybe some dusting too but i grew tired of them a long time ago and this gives me no reason to change my mind... all in my own humble opinion of coarse.
    schangatang
    ooh metallica, now that your sober your worst than all the bands that spawned from you