Jerusalem Review

Sleep: Jerusalem
Released: Feb 2, 1999
Styles: Stoner Metal, Doom Metal
Label: Rise Above, The Music Cartel
"Jerusalem" is pure unpretentious heavy pleasure - a smile and a nod to all who joyously kneel before the altar of Iommi with "bong in hand" in spirit and in actuality.
 9.5
 8.9
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Jerusalem Reviewed by: dieiervonstn, on february 23, 2005

Sound: I was reading a review about this CD in a top 50 metal CDs or something. It said it was a single, 52-minute track. Since I am always looking for different music to listen to, this was a must have for me. When I got it and first listened to it, I was blown away. People with one track minds in music will be bored with this CD right away. It's the same, low-tuned riff played over and over. But to those who are looking to broaden their musical horizon should pick it up. Sleep is the ultimate stoner band, but me, being a "reformed pot smoker" can still appreciate the genius of this band. This CD is lower than low, and slower than slow. But its also the heaviest CD I own. The "52-minute track" is actually a 52 minute, 6 track CD, but the tracks flow into each other flawlessly, making it seem like one song. // 10

Lyrics: The singer is as monotonous as the music, which is good because it fits. The vocals are low and sound the same throughout the CD. This is something I usually hate (monotony) but on this CD it fits. Very few bands can get away with monotony, and Sleep is one of them. The first lyric, "Follow the smoke to the riff-filled land" is genius. The whole song is about spreading religion through marijuana. There aren't many lyrics for being a 52 minute song, but that leaves room for low riffs, and mind blowing solos. Overall, the lyrics are well thought out, and definitely come from a stoner's bored night sitting at home, writing songs about religion and marijuana. // 10

Overall Impression: Black Sabbath is obviously an influence on this band. Fans of Eyehategod, the Melvins, guitarist Matt Pike's other band High On Fire, and other stoner bands will love Sleep, the ultimate stoner band. The CD is low and sludgy. I love it. It sounds the best when trying to relax and just chill. That's probably where the name Sleep came from. But hell, I don't care. This band is one of the best the music world has ever seen, and I wish they could've released more than 4 albums, but those 4 albums are better, more musically creative, and overall more fulfilling than some bands with 20+ albums. Seeing this band reunited for one tour would be amazing, but I don't personally see it happening.

// 10