Let's Cheers To This review by Sleeping With Sirens

• Released: May 10, 2011
Sleeping With Sirens: Let's Cheers To This

Sleeping With Sirens surely made a splash with their first album, "With Ears To See And Eyes To Hear". Love it or hate it, there's no denying that work was a prime example of post-hardcore musicianship. Since that album, SWS have been through a TON of changes, which surprisingly, were for the better. The band has opted for less of a straight forward Post-hardcore sound to play around with pop punk and, at times, straight up rock music. Songs like "Who Are You Now" or "Tally It Up, Settle The Score" have such solid rock verses that you wouldn't believe this is a Rise band. The song "If You Can't Hang" is so infectious in its delivery it should be a Billboard topping rock smash, and "Four Corners And Two Sides" offers a unique blend of the poppy with the hardcore. All in all, this album is a far more diverse soundscape, and while the blazing leadwork plays second fiddle to a more traditional chord based approach this time, the songs still stand out and stay in your head long after the CD stops.

Yet again, Kellin doesn't fail to impress. While not relying on the castrado-esque approach that WETS did, his vocals are still a true standout aspect of the music. His voice stays in a slightly lower range this time around, focusing more on getting that hook in your head rather than busting your ear drums. His vocals are best shown off in the songs "If You Can't Hang" and "A Trophy Father's Trophy Son", where he efortlessly balances delivering passionate lyrics with insanely catchy hooks. At times, he even has a Claudio Sanchez-esque swoon about his delivery ("Do It Now, Remember It Later"). Kellin is truly a magnificant singer, and this disk captures him in his absolute prime. Lyrically, this disk is also a standout. Capturing everything from abandonment issues ("I've been missing you so bad and you don't seem to care/ When I go to sleep at night you aren't even there" - "A Trophy Father's Trophy Son"), the deterioration of loved ones ("You're losing your light. Everything that was yours just does not exist/So don't even try to say sorry for the things in life you might have missed" - "Fire"), and chasing the musical dream ("Remember when they said that what we want can never be done?/ When it all comes falling down we'll do what we want to" - "Do It Now, Remember It Later"). Kellin's writing comes off as both personal and relatable, a powerful element that makes these catchy songs even better.

With "Let's Cheers To This", Sleeping With Sirens haven't sold out: they've experimented with their sound and found themselves as a band. It could be best explained as a total improvement on their last release (which was good too, don't get me wrong). The hooks are more catchy, the vocals are more driven, the guitars are more prominent in the final sound, and the electronic bits from their last album are almost completely gone, making this one more appealing for traditional rock fans. This is, so far, my 2011 Album of the Year, hands down. For fans of: Circa Survive, The Maine, A Skylit Drive.

Ibeanez
    Waiting for every hair metal band from the 80's to sue for plagiarism.
    Orca258
    I liked this album better than previous. Good thing they decreased their electronic stuff
    FlyingPirahna
    EpiExplorer
    Ibeanez wrote: Don't take it personally, and I'm not familiar with this band, but I can not believe you actually quoted those lyrics as standouts. They range from childish to nonsensical. Thanks for the lols though.
    I dont get how these lyrics can be seen as 'emotional' when its just a bunch of metaphors with obscure context.
    Ibeanez
    Torilangham
    this album is good it speaks to those out there who have suffered a past enabling them to let there emotions be guided by feeling the music x
    ShevanelFlip
    This bans is great, SOme great hooks on this album, and this is coming from someone who is quite jaded about the post-hardcore scene. But these guy captured my ear.
    carr4600
    FlyingPirahna wrote: I heard this band's first album and nothing about it stood out...fairly standard hardcore, if I recall correctly. Tired of these kinds of bands these days.
    This album is completely different. Not all that generic bullshit.
    Xx__benji__xX
    Quality album in my opinion. Better than the first, but it is quite different in all fairness, heading towards the more 'emorasa' type sound.
    tdwpozzy
    SOOOOO glad someone else heard the Claudio similarity i swore i would never jump on the SWS band wagon two days before i fell for them....i was prepared for another carbon copy of any other rise band...and discovered them to be quite refreshing
    Tw1tch001
    I really like these guys, they are pretty easy listening and their songs consistently get stuck in my head. I especially like your nickle aint worth my dime. I don't think you should over analyze the lyrics you will just take the fun out of it.
    Boxiii
    I like this album and i think it's better than the first, but you really did choose the worst lines to put. Had a good laugh as well.
    krvolok
    Sleeping with sirens...a good way to get a nasty std... Anyway the lyrics,gods below,they appear to be words combined by random rather than intention.
    mpastrick
    This is truly a great album. Been waiting for it for some time now. Some of the songs like "Your Nickel Ain't Worth My Dime" have amazing delivery on Kellin's part.
    r0ckth3d34n
    I haven't listened to this CD yet. I liked the first single they released. I had planned on pre-ordering it, but man, I just have no money.
    Bananafish003
    True. Bands have got to start putting more thought into their lyrics...or maybe less? Look to Beck for inspiration.