Acoustic Roots Live And Direct Review

Slightly Stoopid: Acoustic Roots Live And Direct
Release Date: Sep 17, 2002
Label: Cornerstone
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
This album was recorded live with in only one take, no overdubs. Amazing. The complexity of the sound, even with only two guitars.
 8.6
 7.7
 9.4
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Acoustic Roots Live And Direct Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 23, 2006

Sound: This album was recorded live with in only one take, no overdubs. Amazing. The complexity of the sound, even with only two guitars, blows my mind every time I hear it. This CD in particular isn't exactly consistant with the "normal" Stoopid sound. It has a more laid-back feeling, sort of like something you'd listen to on a long road trip. One of my favorite things about the band is how they use the guitar almost as a percussive instrument. Specifically, Sensemilla comes to mind here. Technique is really put to good use on this CD. Before buying this, I really didnt think that the band had this much talent. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics leave a little to be desired, I guess. A lot of the songs on this cd are shallow when it comes to the meanings behind them (or lack thereof). Even when its awesome to sing about how high you're getting, and where, and when and with who, its not all I want to hear about. But as pointless as they seem at times, they actually seem to fit in with the pace of the music, which makes me want to forgive whats actually being said. There are absolutely no flaws with the singer. Miles and Kyle really sound insane together. Everything about the way this cd sounds fits. // 6

Overall Impression: Slightly Stoopid sounds a lot like a blend of Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and maybe Greatful Dead. It's hard to slap a label on them because they do a little bit of everything. If Acoustic Roots ever got lost or stolen, I would buy it again in a second. I hear something new every time I listen to it. If you appreciate good guitar, then this is truly something you have to get. I can't even begin to decide on the best tracks, I seriously think they're all amazing. // 10

Comments