Chronchitis Review

Slightly Stoopid: Chronchitis
Release Date: Aug 7, 2007
Label: Stoopid
Genres: Reggae-Pop, Punk-Pop
Chronchitis is one of those records that sounds like it was formed with live work in mind, and it should keep Slightly Stoopid's summer audiences happy and dancing.
 8.9
Chronchitis Reviewed by: IMABBALLPLAYER, on march 13, 2008

Sound: This sound on Slightly Stoopid's latest release is amazing. It seems to be a bit different from others. It's not as much acoustic guitar as some of their albums. It's got a great reggae sound to it. The music on this album is great. Each song is different and doesn't sound the same. Some songs on the album are some great reggae tunes, and others are some very radio friendly rock. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to be a big improvement from some of their other albums. Instead of every song being about drugs, and pot. They actually have some great lyrics. Some really have a meaning to them, such as on The Otherside. Reward For Me, is well written. The songs are sung great. The vocals on this album are very soothing, and enjoyable. // 9

Overall Impression: This is definitely my favorite Slightly Stoopid album. The album is an absolute gem with songs like Girl U So Fine, Ocean, The Otherside, and Baby I Like it. Slightly Stoopid really adds a new dimension to their sound with this album. What I really like about it is that it's a very relaxing album, and is very easy-listening. If this album were stolen, I would definitely buy it again. It's a great album. // 10

Chronchitis Reviewed by: brycec33, on march 13, 2008

Sound: Ready to hear a band unlike anything on your radio today? Slightly Stoopid is back with their fifth studio album "Chronchitis" and their reggae/ska/stoner sound is alive now more than ever. Lead by the amazing guitar work and complimenting vocals of Kyle McDonald and Miles Doughty, Slightly Stoopid continue their musical journey away from their punk rock roots. Like any typical Stoopid album, you get your reggae hits or acoustic riff laced songs, and occasionally a combination of both. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics have never been a strength of Slightly Stoopid. This is evident in "Baby I Like It" as one verse talks of making love to a women like star wars characters. Don't let this unfortunate lyric fool you, Slightly Stoopid completely redeems themselves with the beautiful ballad "Reward for Me" and reggae jam "Round the World". It would be difficult to find a band out today that can combine sound guitar play with two outstanding lead singers like Slightly Stoopid. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall Chronicitis will stand the test of time for Stoopid fans around the world. Key songs include "Girl you So Fine, Pt.1/Pt.2" and the aforementioned "Reward for Me". Also, every party should be required to play "Ocean", Jim Hendrix tribute "Jimi", and "Mind On Your Music" for their beats and chill lyrics. Although Chronchitis may not be the best Stoopid album to recommend to new fans (see Everything You Need or Closer to the Sun for that), it will intrigue you enough to hear more of their music. I would definitely buy Chronchitis again for one simple reason: I like fresh, new music that makes me grab my guitar and head to Ultimate-Guitar. // 9

Chronchitis Reviewed by: mrvile, on june 21, 2008

Sound: Slightly Stoopid's latest studio album, Chronchitis, is a positive step towards a very unique sound for the band. Since the band originated from a punk/reggae background, they've taken their sound and evolved it into something that moves away from a cliche sound and begins to create something very new. The CD is much more "unified" than the others, with most of the songs sounding more similar, which can be both a good and bad thing (I personally find it a good thing). Songs such as "Jimi" and "Girl You Is So Fine" still show off Slightly Stoopid's guitar prowess, though many of the other songs have excellent integration of the guitar into the music itself to avoid too much of a separation of the instruments and vocals. Also, heavier use of DeLa and C-Money's brass adds to a more unique sound, fusing even more musical dynamicism into the album. // 10

Lyrics: While not the most lyrically inclined band out there, Slightly Stoopid has made progress with their lyrical work with this album. The lyrics move away from the drugs, sex, and anarchical themes of the other albums and now include much more generalized and universal language. Songs like "Reward For Me" have more of a poetic feel to the words, though I still wouldn't call it very talented songwriting. However, the soothing sound of Doughty and McDonald's vocals play into the style of the album very well, and it's nice to see the band switch from a reggae sound to rapping to more standard singing. // 8

Overall Impression: Chronchitis is definitely a milestone album for Slightly Stoopid, up there with Closer to the Sun and Everything You Need. The album can be summed up pretty well with songs like "Ocean" and "Hold On To The One," though there are some songs that are a bit different, such as "Anywhere I Go" and "Breakbeat." However different they are, they all fit very well into the album, and Chronchitis is one of the most timeless, well-rounded albums I've heard in a while. Good work, Slightly Stoopid. // 10

Comments