Closer To The Sun Review

Slightly Stoopid: Closer To The Sun
Release Date: Apr 19, 2005
Label: Reincarnate Music
Genres: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop, Third Wave Ska Revival, Ska-Punk
Slightly Stoopid create a soothing, folksy-cum-reggae feel on most of this album.
 8.9
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Closer To The Sun Reviewed by: Mojo89, on january 07, 2008

Sound: I've always been a big classic rock fan and never appreciated much of any thing outside of it. That was until I heard sublime. Bradley Nowell sang about things that were so simple yet so deep. Slightly Stoopid was actually signed to skunk because of Bradley Nowell. At first I didn't give slightly stoopid the time of day, I pretty much just assumed they were sublime knock offs or wanna bes. Slightly stoopid doesn't come as strong with meaningful lyrics, but what they lack there they make up with their playing. Not that the lyrics were bad. If you like music with a good vibe, or just laid back music you'll probably enjoy their fusion of acoustic, blues, reggae, hip-hop, and other genres. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics weren't bad. But I didn't find myself heavily attracted to them. What really shines about the vocals is the vocal melodies in the song. The catichiness of "Comb For My Domb" and "Older" has just as much to do with the vocal melodies as it does the music. // 7

Overall Impression: Take it for what it is. It's not supposed to be a critically aclaimed musical master piece even though some may see it as such. If you like reggae, sublime, acoustic music, or even hip-hop I'd be almost certain some aspect and certain songs would appeal to you, if not, all of them. // 8

Comments