Everything You Need review by Slightly Stoopid

• Released: Mar 18, 2003
Slightly Stoopid: Everything You Need

First off, I want to describe my musical tastes. about 6 years ago I was into metal/rock/classic rock like A7X, Metallica, 90's alt rock, etc. My favorite band next was RHCP for a while. I then discovered Sublime and from there I listened to Slightly Stoopid and other bands in the reggae/rock genre and I haven't looked back since. I don't understand how the first review said this isn't a good album, IMO it's their best. Officer, Collie Man, and Mellow Mood are three of their most popular songs too. I love the song on this album. It's not quite as pure punk rock as their earlier stuff, and a little more acoustic feel than Chroncitis. Collie Man might be my favorite song of theirs, Officer is a great song on the album, Runnin' With a Gun is great, Sweet Honey is amazing and always puts me in a good mood, Mellow Mood is very relaxing, and Wiseman is also quite good (not the acoustic version). With those before mentioned songs I find it impossible to give this album a bad review. Everything you need is a very chill song that I like sometimes, World Goes Round is also good depending on my mood, and Leaving on a Jet Plane is a nice little cover. I am not too familiar with the other songs on the album (I have only listened to them a few times and from those listens I didn't like them as much as the other songs).

The lyrics at times may seem simple and the typical words of a middle class stoner or a young guy talking about love/girls, but they are often very meaningful in many of the songs. Collie Man is like a stoner love song. Wiseman provides great wisdom with a few simple lines. My favorite lyrics on the album are probably Runnin' With a Gun "All of a sudden I said could you believe all of the anger and corruption in a society".

It is fairly similar to Sublime at first, but after listening to both for several years now I can very easily distunguish their styles and consider them unique. The most impressive songs (listed above) are Collie Man, Officer, Runnin' with a Gun, Sweet Honey, Wiseman, and Mellow Mood. My favorite aspect of this album is the chill sound combined with more upbeat stuff at times and it's overall feel-good sound. I would definitely buy it again.

jsspang
    I just saw them live sunday w/ cyprus hill and collie budz. They all sounded great and it was a really good show. I didn't know much of them going into it, But it was a good time. I don't remember much of it... but I remember it was awesome.