Everything You Need Review

Slightly Stoopid: Everything You Need
Release Date: Mar 18, 2003
Label: Surfdog
Genres: Ska Revival, Punk-Pop
This CD is fresh, the band plays more reggae and less punk now but they hold true to their punk roots.
 Lyrics: 6.7
 7.6
 8.1
Everything You Need Reviewed by: Ely Rosetta, on august 04, 2006

Sound: Stoopid's sound is very original. Basically, it is a mix between Bob Marley, The Kottonmouth Kings, and Jack Johnson. The songs range on Everything You Need range from rap, reggae, acoustic rock, to even punk rock. This album defined Slightly Stoopid's unique style, breaking away from the sound that it started with that sounded suspiciously like Sublime. However, the songs are for the most part, very simple and repetitive and can get very old after awhile. But in small doses, to me at least, they are fairly decent. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, which are all almost obviously written while high, are not very good at all. I would like Stoopid much more if they had at least one song that they took more than fifteen minutes to write. The singers, while maybe not saying anything meaningful, have great voices which are almost musical instruments on their own. // 3

Overall Impression: This album, while it is not my favorite, is still decent. It is a very original sound which is hard to find lately in this age of "The combination" (two guitars, bass, drum, whiney singer). If I lost this album, I would probably just download it, but I wouldn't buy it from a store again. Don't let me (or the terrible band name) deter you from giving them a listen, they definitely deserve it. They have an original sound that has yet to be ripped off. // 6

Everything You Need Reviewed by: Dragforce92, on december 17, 2007

Sound: Ska is coming close to the best genre because of this album. I have to admit this is one of the few albums where I can say every song on the album is worth listening to. It surprised me when I first heard it. Everything You Need, Officer, Killin me deep inside, Wiseman, and Collie Man took my breath away. I was shocked after this album and it changed my views of style in music and now, I want to make ore music sounding like theirs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics can be better, but not much. The Lead singer has a great voice and I couldnt think of anybody better than him. They came up with strong lyrics even if some of them were not true, it's supposed to take you away from reality. I couldnt believe my ears could allow such awesomeness into them without exploding. // 8

Overall Impression: If I had only enough money to buy one CD, I would buy this (if I didn't already have it, or if it got lost). Just listen and be prepared for amazment. I wasn't ready for it and BAM, it hit me with all of it's force. All I'm trying to say is, if you buy this album, you are a wiseman. // 10

Everything You Need Reviewed by: KingJustinian25, on august 03, 2010

Sound: First off, I want to describe my musical tastes. about 6 years ago I was into metal/rock/classic rock like A7X, Metallica, 90's alt rock, etc. My favorite band next was RHCP for a while. I then discovered Sublime and from there I listened to Slightly Stoopid and other bands in the reggae/rock genre and I haven't looked back since. I don't understand how the first review said this isn't a good album, IMO it's their best. Officer, Collie Man, and Mellow Mood are three of their most popular songs too. I love the song on this album. It's not quite as pure punk rock as their earlier stuff, and a little more acoustic feel than Chroncitis. Collie Man might be my favorite song of theirs, Officer is a great song on the album, Runnin' With a Gun is great, Sweet Honey is amazing and always puts me in a good mood, Mellow Mood is very relaxing, and Wiseman is also quite good (not the acoustic version). With those before mentioned songs I find it impossible to give this album a bad review. Everything you need is a very chill song that I like sometimes, World Goes Round is also good depending on my mood, and Leaving on a Jet Plane is a nice little cover. I am not too familiar with the other songs on the album (I have only listened to them a few times and from those listens I didn't like them as much as the other songs). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics at times may seem simple and the typical words of a middle class stoner or a young guy talking about love/girls, but they are often very meaningful in many of the songs. Collie Man is like a stoner love song. Wiseman provides great wisdom with a few simple lines. My favorite lyrics on the album are probably Runnin' With a Gun "All of a sudden I said could you believe all of the anger and corruption in a society". // 9

Overall Impression: It is fairly similar to Sublime at first, but after listening to both for several years now I can very easily distunguish their styles and consider them unique. The most impressive songs (listed above) are Collie Man, Officer, Runnin' with a Gun, Sweet Honey, Wiseman, and Mellow Mood. My favorite aspect of this album is the chill sound combined with more upbeat stuff at times and it's overall feel-good sound. I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Comments