Slightly Not Stoned Enough To Eat Breakfast Yet Stoopid review by Slightly Stoopid

• Released: Jul 22, 2008
Slightly Stoopid: Slightly Not Stoned Enough To Eat Breakfast Yet Stoopid

It might be tempting to lump Ocean Beach's Slightly Stoopid in with a myriad of, for lack of a better description, stoner bands, but you'd be completely missing a key point: this is a group of incredibly creative and capable musicians. Slightly Stoopid was undeniably was given a boost when the late/great Bradley Nowell signed the band to his label, Skunk Records, back in the mid 1990s, and there are several songs that do feel like an extension of Sublime's music. But their latest album Slightly Not Stoned Enough To Eat Breakfast Yet Stoopid, which contains songs from a 1995 EP of the same name, also features several new songs that are centered around impressive arrangements and diverse musical styles. Yes, Slightly Stoopid loves to sing about marijuana. Let's get that out of the way. You might not necessarily be able to understand every lyric sung due to the laid-back, quiet vocal delivery at times, but it's usually the instrumentation that ends up taking the center stage in any case. If you already own the 1995 EP, then you are aware that Slightly Stoopid can do wonders with an acoustic on songs like Train and Thinkin Bout Cops. Miles Doughty and Kyle McDonald deliver some of the most impressive lines with an acoustic, fluctuating between a folk rock sound to reggae to funk. There are some rarities and outtakes, but you also get the new tracks No Cocaine, Fruits (Legalize Them), and Circle House Blues. In several sections of No Cocaine, a keyboard (cued up to sound much like an organ in church) carries the track, all the while we hear how Mary Jane is the vocalist's true love. The Fruits, a track that calls for the legalization of marijuana, at times does relay a Sublime-like sound. Slightly Stoopid steps out of the neo-reggae zone in Circle House Blues, a funky, bluesy instrumental that feels like it could fit nicely in a Quentin Tarantino film. Other highlights on the CD are Digital and Foreign Land, two tracks that are pretty much night and day in terms of their styles. As might be expected, Digital includes a synth beat that starts everything off, with bass and guitar lines quietly entering the picture. It's still very much a reggae-influenced track (particularly in the vocal delivery), but the programmed beats gives it almost an R&B feel at times. Foreign Land combines reggae with a Latin sound, undoubtedly enhanced by the horn section. Like the band's past albums, there is an extremely long playlist on Slightly Not Stoned Enough To Eat Breakfast Yet Stoopid, The band is able to shape a completely unique experience with each of the tracks, and even more impressive is the complex arrangements.

Slightly Stoopid posted a news item on its website that included a sentence was a fairly good introduction/declaration. It read, Roll up a phatty and enjoy! The album is absolutely marketed to a particular crowd, and the lyrics follow suit. There is definitely a good deal of drug-themed songs, but honestly the music is so good that the lyrics often become secondary. And to be fair, there are some songs that don't revolve around drugs. However, if you are truly offended by the subject of marijuana, then Slightly Stoopid is definitely not the band for you.

If you're a fan of Sublime or even old school reggae, Slightly Stoopid's latest album is something you need to buy. With 6 members, they are able to relay an incredibly rich sound, complete with horns, keys, and some truly amazing acoustic work. It's not a completely unfamiliar album, thanks to the outtakes and rarities that many a fan probably already owns. The new tracks are definitely highlights among the playlist, although ever song is impressive. Just from listening to the album you sense that this is a band that would put on an incredible live show, and not every group is able to relay that kind of feeling in the studio setting.

ianmichael89
    ianmichael89 wrote: Tyler420 wrote: haha i can picture the super nerd who wrote that article now.. "now be careful... they sing about MARIJUANA the DEADLIEST DRUG EVER... THE INHIBITOR OF GOOD MUSIC" GTFO. 75% of good bands out there smoke weed.
    lol yeah more like 100%
    ogpaulwall
    I also agree it's not their best release,if your new to the band try "Everything You Need" or "Chronchitis", if you like hard punk try their first self-titled album "slightly stoopid", for reggae/punk I highly recomend the surf/cult classic "Longest Barrel Ride" or "Closer to the Sun". Their "Acoustic Roots: Live and Direct" album is amazing as well. all in all you will get a wide variety of styles on any one of Stoopids albums. Buy them all, you wont be disappointed.
    ogpaulwall
    CORRECTION: You said the new album contained songs from a 1995 E.P. of the same name, this is incorrect. The E.P. you speak of does indeed bear the sam title but it was released in 2005, and only 1,000 copies were printed to be sold with the pre-orders for the album "closer to the sun".(contained the tracks Thinkin Bout Cops, Chaunch, Shoobie, I-Metal, Train, Know your rider, I Would Do -UB40 cover Their 1995 skunk records release was a self-titled, punk rock album, much diffrent from what you hear today.
    reggaevibes
    Slightly Stoopids new album to me was kind of a dissapointment. I have been involved with the band for the past 10 years helping them with numerous things and this to me was the biggest waste of an album. They have 21 tracks which made up for the fact that 8 of them werent new....actually 10 if you count the ones they used which were on Japanese releases. So they did an 11 track album essentially where they did do some oldies and I agree with the writter of this article circle house blues is an amazing track...a little light rocky for me but it is amazing if you listen. But to re-do digital that was on there last album is silly. Now the expendables are a kick ass band and if your on that wavelength some other good bands to check out would be John Browns Body, Pepper (if you liked sublime you would probably dig these guys), Clear Conscience (probably the most underrated insanely conscious good band) and Chapter 11 mainly vocals by daddy scotty. Theres a lot of good music out here so people need to get out of the box and listen around.
    Agony098
    Joe Zam wrote: I got all of there albums, from listening to bands like Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, Muse, Bush, Pearl etc. Listening to something like this is awesome. For these type of songs The Expendables and Sublime are up there with them.
    The Expendables are my favorite band, the most underrated band in the world. Amazing music, awesome show, really cool people to meet. They need to tour with Slightly again and stop touring with Kottonmouth Kings...
    null
    Slightly Stoopid has a new CD?! That is almost too awesome.
    ianmichael89
    cruehead187
    dude slighty stoopid are bad ass theyre music is great and dudes those guitars are bad ass
    Joe Zam
    Agony098
    lol, get high and listen to it...then tell me it's dull Bought this album the day it came out...simply amazing. Stoopid never disappoints. I've never heard so much variety in one album. They're simply incredible. I would tell you that they put on a great show, but it's like trying to remember a dream...
    rockybo
    Tyler, only 75%? I'm pretty sure it's a lot higher than that. 15% of the US population smokes pot on a regular basis, I can't imagine there are that many bands that don't. As for the album, it's more of the same from Slightly Stoopid. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does get a little dull. There's not a lot of replay value to these songs
    NeoAkira
    Slightly Stoopid is great. I'm currently trying to arrange a correct tab of their song "wiseman" because the guitar in that song is just too cool.
    Tyler420
    shoka1234
    They've gotten too reggae. All those songs are so boring and slow. Closer to the Sun was awesome and now they dont even use guitars that often.
    jimmyjimbo72
    The original EP which you mention was released in 2005, not 1995. It was used as a promotional item for the first of those who preordered Closer To The Sun if I recall correctly.