9.0: Live review by Slipknot

• Released: Nov 1, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Slipknot: 9.0: Live

The first thing I am going to say right off the bat is; and sorry for anyone who was at this show or is some hardcore Slipknot fan thinking they could do no wrong; this is one of the worst live performances I've ever heard. When I got this album I was expecting a lot more than what was thrown at me. The drums and guitars are handled with precision as is expected of this band. They sound extremely well for live, which is good. This wasn't my problem. My problem was Corey Taylor's performance; put down the mic man, game over. I do realize that he screams and this is taxing on one's vocals but this is way too dead to be live. Through out the whole album his voice is muffled slightly through the mask, but that is expected. Not much of a problem, if that happened to be the only one. Through this entire barrage of splendid noise; Taylor's vocals just sound like they've been used way too much. He sounds worn out. 5 because the guitars and everything was good (performance is based on half/half instruments/vocals).

I like the lyrics. Of course we've all heard them, so nothing new. The first tracks I went to on the album were the titles I consider my favorites. I was hoping of course that they would sound awesome. They sure did! Except for the vocals. I first listened to Wait And Bleed. I love the song but I physically cringed when I heard this live version. Just wow Corey, could you ruin it anymore for me? Then came Purity and Everything Ends. Equally unimpressed with the vocal quality. Before I Forget was all right, as was Duality and The Nameless was pretty good. Oh, yeah, there's also a drum solo on the album. I wasn't too impressed with it. It wasn't great. It was pretty much just a lot of rapid hits. Thumbs down on that. But kudos; because I could never drum that quickly in that amount of time and/or for that long.

As for my overall impression with this live album; I wouldn't recommened it to anyone. I would rather just listen to the albums themselves since they sound so much better. Again, this is the worst live album I've heard. The worn out vocals get annoying to listen to. If I was a hardcore Maggot, I'd just buy this album to support the band, and leave it wrapped and on my shelf. If you have yet to hear the album go ahead and go buy it or whatever. I will tell you now it's not even worth your money. If I had this album stolen, nevermind, I'd probably trade this one in, or just give it away. I'd leave it on a bus or just let it get stolen. I wouldn't buy it again.