All Hope Is Gone review by Slipknot

• Released: Aug 26, 2008
Slipknot: All Hope Is Gone

When Slipknot blew up my earlobes for the first time with their smashing debut album, 'Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat', I have been clinging onto their songs. This may sound like a confession of bias, but I try my best not to be biased when criticising is the focus. 4 years after their third studio album (Vol3), Slipknot produced something that literally will 'rip your face off'. All Hope Is Gone, has been succesful in manifesting their much-anticipated imagery of darkness (well, obvious through their use of masks). With songs like 'Gematria (The Killing Name)', 'Psychosocial', 'This Cold Black', 'Wherein Lies Continue' and 'All Hope Is Gone', Slipknot manages to track back to their old 'headbang until your neck is ripped off' way. These songs are much heavier and darker, compared to the songs from Vol3; and to the fans that were pulling away for them not being as hardcore as they used to be as in Iowa, it can be seen to be a good enough turning point for them. They easily manage to bring back their uniqueness. Even though the song 'Vendetta' might be counted as going back to their old ways of dealing with 'insanity in music', listeing to that song, somewhat replicated the riff styles that were written by a death metal band 'Cannibal Corpse' or 'Cradle Of Filth'. Some of you might disagree, but the use of fast and consecutive notes in the intro sounds similar to Cradle Of Filth sort of riffs. Moreover, to the side where Slipknot promised on this album. The 'melodic' and 'experimental' side of things. Well, with songs such as 'Snuff' and 'Dead Memories' their melodic capability is aptly present. 'Snuff' had a presence similar to 'Vermillion Pt.2' in Vol3. Personally, 'Snuff' didn't sound as emotional/dark as Vermillion Pt.2 and compared to the whole 'impression' of the album, Snuff didn't really fit in to the picture. It is wierd. It is experimental in melodic sense. But it just simply 'doesnt't fit'. On the 'experimental' side, (well, all the songs do tend to exploit both sides) we have 'Butchers Hook'. I sensed a bit of metalcore influence in this song. Dark, swinging riffs accompanied by Corey's newly-enforced darker screams and of course, Joey Jordison full-on spine-breaking drumming. One of the best aspect of this new album was that many songs now featured solos; it seems like a compensation for Mick and Jim being accused of lacking 'talent'. Well, there you go doubters, you have extreme mind-boggling, yet, melodically fit (which is to say, ear-pleasing) solos that will rip your doubts to ribbons. In overview, the sound Slipknot have created on this new album is simply amazing. They have finally proven their capabillity to the full in my opinion. They now show us their talents more than ever, yet keeping the songs ear-pleasing and just purely enjoyable to listen to. Guitars, drums, vocals, turntables and keyboards were, in my opinion, to the full extent to virtualise the possibility of Slipnot's limit to their limitless sound.

Lyrics are usual stuffs. Indeed, they are dark. But Slipknot isnt really a band that require complex and metaphoric lyrics. All they needed was effect and the pure message conveyed in them. Although they need effects-only lyrics (such as 'if you're 555 then I'm 666 or SICCCCC SICCC SICCCC), they still bring forth the absurdity and often what we'd call 'insanity' into the lyrics. Most notable would be lyrics in 'Psychosocial'. You can read it and just realise how insane the lyrics actually feel. Reciting such lyrics casually as if you are saying it would cause a stir, wouldn't it? Besides that, as I said, Slipknot blends in lyrics into a right rythm, maximising the effect of them, without them needing to be overly metaphoric. Corey Taylor has develped a darker way of screaming and his representation of his change in vocal style is consistent throughout the album. Even though Slipknot achieves their goal, their lyrics are tidious on their own.

As mentioned, some original Slipknot, metalcore influences and other sorts of metal influences is present in their new songs (excluding melodic songs). As for me, the whole album blew me away, or it 'melted my face' in cliche. Most notable song would be 'This Cold Black'. This song had so many variations to their diversity in tone and their ability to write amazing songs. The intro riff is thrash, the solo is just awesome, the chorus and verses are metalcore/hardcore/original Slipknot and with all that blended in into one big formidable mass, how could it not be so bold? But, all the tracks on this album is listening to. They did achieve what they have promised, and IMO, they achieved even more. Every single song is notable, worthwhile to listen to and moreover. A Slipknot fan would not want to miss this. Even other metalheads who 'despise' Slipknot for various ignorant reasons should also have a listen at this album. This album is a pure attack on our ears and this, surprisingly, is a pleasant attack. Because of these reasons, I will never allow it to be stolen. I pre-ordered a limited edition and a normal one. So I won't really lose it, will I? but hypothetically speaking, if it was, then I would most definitely replace it ASAP.

manson_6sic6
    It's definately not their best album, however it is very good. In my opinion, they have not put out a better album than "Slipknot" yet, however Iowa is very close. Slipknot is one of my favorite bands of all time, and they have not disappointed me yet.
    Perpetual Burn
    washburn0c03 wrote: ShadesOfNight wrote: S.L.A.S.H. wrote: They are awesome but such freaks dude, they're just normal ****ing people stop being so ignorant, everyone was saying what you said when they were 6. grow the hell up. and on the album...aside from psychosocial and snuff, i was greatly disappointed. all the songs sounded like each other, corey had no variation...he was almost monotoning his way through the rest of the album. il stick to their last 3 thanks. dude normal people don't wear masks... I fcuking love slipknot but they are weird... you can't even argue that... BTW CAN'T WAIT FOR NEW ALBUM!!! For some reason the HMV in saskatoon isn't getting it till the 28th ???
    Dude normal people wear masks. C'mon, a bit of Jason X and Batman? Halloween?
    washburn0c03
    Metalmaster876
    Fucking amazing album. ! was really supprised because they were off doing side projects but still all came together and made yet another killer album. Slipknot forever!
    iamadrummer
    Slayer_Guy wrote: I want to know how the drumming is... It's the best part of slipknot so why is not mentioned so much?
    this album is pretty badass. the drumming is badass as always but not the best. besides the blistering double bass, joey's part seem simplified from other the album
    grunge-202
    You're an idiot. This is the best album yet by slipknot! Has any1 heard the bonus tracks? I'm still waiting on mine to come
    Slayer_Guy
    Tallman1984
    JPetrucci25 wrote: Krisp wrote: Worst piece of crap Slipknot made yet. This is totally soft. There's nothing heavy left in this band. The old days were better. (Sic), Heretic Anthem, People = shit. This band is dead. nothing heavy? have u listened to any of the songs off this album. probbaly thier heaviest
    OK... um, doubtful?? I have heard this album about three times already to let it sink in. As far as heaviness is concerned, nothing tops Iowa (however musically, their pinnacle was Vol. 3 in my opinion). Dead Memories, Gehenna (which by the way, is the album's weakest track- funny how everyone seems to be discussing the song's title more than the track itself), and Snuff aren't heavy at all. Guess what, that's a fourth of the album, making it by default the least heavy release they put out. The rest of the songs are, I'm sorry to say (being a huge Slipknot fan), is pretty flat. The Gematria is very much the high pount of the album, but even that track feels pretty generic. Not their best (or heaviest) release.
    Xidon
    I've listened to my friends copy and loved it. Some riffs I do not like, and Corey Taylors voice sounds a bit more like Stone Sour than what we have heard in the past SlipKnot records, but that is also a great thing because it works well and Stone Sour is a personal favorite of mine. I'm loving Psychosocial and Vendetta the most from the album.
    Decadance
    Slipknot!!! i went to the HMV store and bought it muaha!!! there site = unreliable:Grr:
    Metal_Militia10
    dobby240 wrote: I WANT MY FUKIN ALBUM DAMN THE MAIL MAN AND HMV.COM FUCK FCUK FUCK
    We are in the same ****ing boat my friend! FUCKING HMV WEBSITE!!!!
    Styx
    So far i liked this album, All hope is gone is a kick ass song! And Psychosocial is pretty good as well. Corey is a great lyric writer.
    Deliriumbassist
    reignofrock wrote: Deliriumbassist wrote: It is a solid album. I honestly believe that it's the perfect middle ground between 'knot and Stone Sour. Although the only song I can't stand is the title song. Just can't stand it. Why would we want a middle ground between the two? Bands should be unique, sort of like eachother. Besides, Stone Sour is weak.
    Your opinion is your opinion. I quite like Slipknot, and I quite like Stone Sour. I think that the marriage of sound between the two sounds better than both individual bands, and this album has acheived that.
    hardrocker64
    I am right there with you bro. Never been a big fan. this is got alot of good stuff. You can see how they progressed over the years.
    Jaymee
    [quote]Freunleven wrote: Just a minor little quibble with the definition of Gehenna. It isn't a paradise - it's the symbolic equivalent of Hell. quote] I'm 100% positive that they did that on purpose and that is exactly what they mean.
    JPetrucci25
    lntruder
    I've bought the album yesterday, I think it's the best album they've made so far, I love all their songs and lyrics. And now i realy can't wait to see them live,
    ShadesOfNight
    S.L.A.S.H. wrote: They are awesome but such freaks
    BlisteringDDj
    I agree with some that this album was a little generic after listen through for the first time today. I liked it, but it still doesn't top Vol. 3 for me. I've just listened through it once though, and I'm sure it will grow on me.
    AXE187
    this is their best album yet. I am TOTALLY blown away. the riffs are SO much more interesting, its like the guitarist found out there is more thats possible besides just chugging riffs on F and open E. Corey's singing kicks ass too.
    reignofrock
    Taint McGooch
    everybody keeps saying that this album seems to be Stone Sour-ish on the musical end and i do have to say i have to agree, but anybody who says this is a bad thing and says they appreciate music at the same time is lying through their teeth about one or the other. First off it's impossible to not bring influences from other bands into your own if you play with other bands, especially if you enjoy what your doing. Personally i believe it has opened these guys' ears, sonically. you'll notice that their sound doesn't change much until they begin playing in other bands, i.e. Murderdolls, Stone Sour, Ministry, so on and so forth. This is a great effort from these guys, and musically, I do believe it is their heaviest to date. And to all the haters out there who just gasped in terror, heavy does not have to be chugging away at 150 MPH. This album is lyrically, much darker than the first 4, attacking us when we are at our weakest, attempting to open our eyes to the fact that we have destroyed this planet, this economy, by ourselves, and we are the only ones with the ability to fix it. Beautifully presented, musically superior, and the best album they have released to date.
    metalh3ad88
    I FUKIN LUV THIS ALBUM GEMATRIA THA BEST ON THA HOL THING, I WOULD SAY MY FAVRIT SO FAR, KEEP FUKIN ROKIN
    adfrocker13
    i really dont like slipknot but there shit is aamazing compared to the jonas brothers i hate those shit ****ers well slipknot got a couple good songs soooo i guess that means i do like them
    Harvey_Danger
    Eh... Corey's bringing too much of Stone Sour into Slipknot. It's becoming less ironic and more terrible.
    Freunleven wrote: Just a minor little quibble with the definition of Gehenna. It isn't a paradise - it's the symbolic equivalent of Hell. Mark 9:47-50 "And if your eye makes you stumble, throw it away; it is finer for you to enter one-eyed into the kingdom of God than with two eyes to be pitched into Gehenna, where their maggot does not die and the fire is not put out."
    Actually, you have it backwards. Gehenna was a real place in Jerusalem, and "hell" is the symbolic and hyper-exaggerated equivalent.
    Unherolike
    DaniDementia wrote: GCT wrote: and i like the word Gehenna. fvck yeah i think i should design a t-shirt with it. or make a band with that name, or some clothing line. sht. lol Why not do it all? Be like gene simmons and start stamping your band's name on underwear and lunch boxes as well.
    Or find out that O.j. as in Orange jucie was not a patanted word and patant that S**t and every time a orange juice company says that word on aire he gets a slice of it.
    stumaster18
    I've heard the first 4 songs so far... and i love it! it's everything that I could have hoped for. And finally some blast beats
    Waterboy799
    I'm happy that they've finally branched out and experimented with other types of songwriting apart from they're usual stuff from previous albums. Its nice to see that this album is much more diverse and sounds nothing like older slipknot. I do like theyre older stuff but i like the fact that theyve evolved from that. Snuff has to be my favorite song at the moment
    michelinman1
    This is actually a very solid album. Other people have said to me that it's not as good as their previous 3 albums, but I disagree. To me, it is just about the perfect blend of the melodic and heavy. While it is definitely no 'Master of Puppets', it is a solid, musically diverse album. I will admit though, the only song I can't stand on it is 'Snuff'. Acoustic ballads such as this have no place on a Slipknot album - it totally ruins the atmosphere that the previous songs create - no wonder they put this one right at the end. It would have probably fit better on the next Stone Sour album. Overall, 8.5/10
    nick_b
    god dammit i want this album from what i've heard it looks freaking amazing
    Twofly
    i no alota UGers hate slipknot but they can go to hell coz whether they wanna admit it or not,they have really reached out and changed the metal scene.Slipknot rule man
    Najrot
    Haha... Although Gene Simmons was (i think) the first to do that, it seems like all "hardcore"/grindcore bands are doing the same shit. Even booty shorts and basketball shorts... Sigh what has the world come to...
    Cyanide86
    It's incredible how producer can effect on the quality of the music.Rick Rubin has produced vol.3 (subliminal verses)and the album was great,the best album that Slipknot has ever (and will ever) made.Now Rick is gone and the new album is extremely bad disaster.Without melodies,without good riffs...The only god songs are ''Psychosocial'',''All Hope Is Gone'' and maybe ''Snuff''... 2/10
    fireyqwerty
    I thought this album was fantastic, the album is everything I could have hoped for, with driving guitars, pounding bass, and even some hard noise, this just my be my favorite album yet
    f1sk
    damn the album just came out like yesterday how could their be all these reviews already.....
    vosschs
    very, very different album. This is uncomparable to any other Slipknot album. But, I think I will grow on this one more than the rest. The maturity of the instruments and vocals have reached an abomidable level. Corey and Joey sound fantastic on this album.
    Perpetual Burn
    Psychosocial - surely one of the best riff of Slipknot (at least for me), the lyrics resurrect the appearance of misantropo Slipknot; because disgustati by most of the people who live on this world and even from themselves (as stated in "People = Shit" ) say: "And the rain will kill us all." Um, correction. I think 'it's the reign will kill us all.'
    HotDogs1
    plus psychosocial sounds like a hip-hop-nu-metal party fun song! the only good part of the song is the chorus
    HotDogs1
    i hate to sound like that ***** who always says "their first albums was better" but yeeea..... i just miss when corey would experiment with his vocal melodies like in "wait and bleed" which is prob my all time fav slipknot song. but i miss the eeriness that their self titled album and vol 3 had (i didnt think iowa was a good album i only liked a handful of songs from that album)
    SchitzoJoe
    bassplayer_87 wrote: everyone says that slipknots first cd's were the best, like iowa and slipknot.. but everyone seems to forget kill, mate, feed, repeat. when you first listen to that, you'll understand what kind of different type of music slipknot has been through. all hope is gone is awsome in all sorts of ways.. \m/
    And apparently you forgot the name of the album, Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat.
    ricardosevillav
    Great songs... great riffs... good music... BUT IS NOT THE SLPIKNOT I USE TO KNOW... anyways... lets wait and bleed...
    nolifetilTHRASH
    holy sh*t this album is amazing. i'v been a Slipknot Fan since Iowa just came out (thats when i first got into metal) Slipknot is simply (SIC) Iowa was badass in everyway Vol.3 WAS my favorite album for the longest time and now, All Hope Is Gone is by bar the best album of '08 omg im till listening to it and its been 8 hours since i bought it. Gematria (the Killing name) is my favorite song and the other 11 tracks are at a close second.