All Hope Is Gone review by Slipknot

• Released: Aug 26, 2008
Slipknot: All Hope Is Gone

Many are going to say this album is just another Vol. 3, but those people probably only listened to a few songs and labeled SlipKnot as sellouts. Just because a band has a CD where not every song is cranked up to eleven doesn't make them soft. "Snuff" will get the most negative feedback even though one of the best things about SlipKnot is they can be calm one second and rip your face off the next. Which brings me to Gematria (the killing name) which kicks in after the intro.execute. that sounds like the speech from pulse of the maggots. Gematria sounds like something they wrote between self-titled and Iowa. Also, listening to this song makes your wonder how all Joey (Drummer) has broken on this tour is his ankle. Many of the guitars on this CD by Jim and Mick make me want to just throw my guitar out the window cause I can't play them. Shawn and Chris seem to have a much bigger part in this album along with Sid and Craig but it doesn't feel forced like they wanted everyone to be part of a song. The backing vocals from Chris and Paul and very prominent in This Cold Black which is a straight forward SlipKnot song, no questions asked.

Corey Taylor is in my opinion the best singer in metal. All Hope Is Gone has him sounding the best he has in years on every track. He does do some weird singing in Gehenna, this albums Iowa but shorter, that at first I thought sucked, but after a few listens it makes sense in the song. Corey said in an interview that he wasn't going to pretend he coulden't sing and he doesn't. The lyrics are in someway one of this albums only faults. I will be listening to one song but I'll have another stuck in my head. It's not really a fault but I get confused easly. Also he does bring swearing back but it's not pointless with him just saying "F this, F that". a lot if not all the songs are easy to find something in common with and that is very important to me in music.

Reading this might make you think I'm getting paid but I'm not I swear. I was scared like many other maggots that this album would just bomb and I would have another couple years of "SlipKnot Sucks" or "SlipKnot Sold Out". Then I remembered, it's SlipKnot, and even a bad SlipKnot album (which this is not in any way) is better then most if not all other bands. My favorite songs are Gematria, Psychosocial, Dead Memories, and like 6 others. There are only a few songs that I don't like as much as others but no glaring bad songs, all either solid or just plain kick ass. Their best CD to date. If someone stole this CD from me, I would beat them with a DVD player then give them $10 to buy their one once they come to. Many people will probally tell me SlipKnot sucks but thankfully now I have the CD on so loud I can't hear them.

G_MaN_69
    this album AINT slipknot! its stone sour!!! not that thats a bad thing coz stone sour kick ass!!! but i when i listen to slipknot i want to hear huge metal riffs, with extreme voices, drums, guitars, etc
    tom183
    Ive listened to this album all the way through 5 times now. Im liking it more with each listen but at present it ranks as my least favourite slipknot album. 7/10.
    Freunleven
    Harvey_Danger wrote: Gehenna was a real place in Jerusalem, and "hell" is the symbolic and hyper-exaggerated equivalent.
    Yes, but the literal fires would go out, and the literal maggots would die. Hence my use of the word "symbolic" in reference to the verses. People who say that this "isn't Slipknot" are like the people who say that it "isn't Metallica" since ...And Justice For All . The bands have evolved, they've changed a bit, but it can be a good thing.
    mtllica
    Freunleven wrote: Harvey_Danger wrote: People who say that this "isn't Slipknot" are like the people who say that it "isn't Metallica" since ...And Justice For All. The bands have evolved, they've changed a bit, but it can be a good thing.
    I agree
    FamLastWords
    Psychosocial is the best song on the album! It's and awesome album and it's surprising. Slipknot has totally evolved...be prepared to hear a change when you buy it.
    profmcnasty
    ive never really been a true slipknot fan but this album caught my ear. it would probably be compared to iowa a bit. their muscicianship really shot out on this one and at some points it reminds me of amon amarth haha. maybe i should buy the album.....
    Taint McGooch
    hell yeah amon amarth friggin rocks, the riff in Dead Memories reminds me a lot of the pace Amon Amarth sets
    HarvesterOfDeth
    So Here it goes. tracks 1-4 are great Slipknot. Then tracks 5-8 are TERRIBLE. It's like Corey was like 'Hey guys, Ive got 4 songs left over from the StoneSour album lets use them to save time' If you like StoneSour then you will like these songs but this ISNT a StoneSour CD I Hate them. The Song 'Gehenna' Is the worst song Ive heard in a long time it ruined my day. If I didnt respect this band for all the good music theyve put out and I only heard this song I would Punch Corey in the throat as hard a I could given the opportunity.Its funny that the first review said this was the best track on the cd because when i hear him try and sing the high notes in the chorus blood vessels in my eyes literally burst. But tracks 9-12 are all really good too. So 8 really good tracks and 4 that suck a golfball through a hose. At the time of writing this I listened to 'Gehenna' one last time and its still disgusting. to everyone who likes this song I ask Do Your Ears Work? Good CD for 3/4 of it though.