All Hope Is Gone review by Slipknot

• Released: Aug 26, 2008
Slipknot: All Hope Is Gone

Slipknot's sound is and always has been unique. There is something about it where you would recognize it wherever you are. This is a very experimental album, being heavy and melodic at the same time. There is some soft parts in the album as well (snuff). From the crushing riffs made my Mick(7) Jim(4) and Paul(2), the thunderous beats made by Joey(1), All The Way To Clown(6) and Chris's(3) percussion, Sid's(0) turntable work, 133's(5) sampling, and Corey's(8) roaring vocals, every member does their part in All Hope is Gone to make it as experimental as possible.

The lyrics, you can say, are based around politics. But there are some explanations of what's wrong with life and how "All Hope is Gone". Corey yells and sings melodic. Unlike their self-titled, there is no rapping. The lyrics go very well with the music in the background. They can be brutal, they can also make sense and melodic.

This album is great. Slipknot did an awesome job. I won't say it's their bast album, because for me nothing will beat self-titled, but they did their best. A lot of solo's and a complex approach made by the band. There isn't anything you could say they just half-assed. Some songs to check out: of course Psychosocial, Snuff, This Cold Black, Sulfer, All Hope is Gone, even the intro is kick ass. I love the fact that they did a lot of work to make this album the way they wanted. If it was lost or stolen I would get it again.

jamie_hough
    I cant be bothered to read all the comments but am I the ONLY one who thought the lyrics were bloody awful... I mean terrible. the singing is great as always, but it just seems like Corey's ran out of things to say - the lyrics are cheesey beyond comparrison in my opinion, not to say i dont like the album, I just have to try and not listen to the words. I know slipknot arent meant to be particularly revolutionary with their lyrics, but it just sounds like Corey wants it taken seriously, when to me it just sounds embarrasing. maybe im alone, but if you sit and listen to the WHOLE album with the bookelt in your hands reading along, its dreadful, cringeworthy, and never really goes anywhere - all the songs seem to have the same theme. musically brillaint though, love the album for that!
    ringo23rsr
    Good CD. Favorite songs are Psychosocial, Gematria, Sulfur and All Hope Is Gone. Every Slipknot fan will probably kill me for saying this but I actually liked Snuff a little bit, I mean it's not like shitty but I do also think it doesn't belong with Slipknot. I've been a Slipknot fan for about 3 years now and I love them and what they have done. I give this cd an 8.5/10. (Vol. 3 is still my all time favorite CD by Slipknot though, i can listen to it from the first song to the last and love every second of it, but i still enjoy listening to the heaviness of Iowa and Slipknot)
    steve_a7x
    Cannibalhell666 wrote: Penguinblimp500 wrote: 1st album- they could improve 2nd album- just plain sucked 3rd album- ok 4th album- awesomeness Ture very ture
    are you an idiot or something 1st album was amazing 2nd album was real good 3rd album was quite good 4th album not great
    ronng
    All Hope Is Gone (album) doesn't disappoint at all. In fact, Slipknot's sound has improved a little. Corey Taylor's melodic voice is excellent and melts in. Lyrics are great (seek inspiration; a take on all topics which the band felt were necessary). Joey's blasting is nice (a bit flashy though) I loved how Corey and the guys explored both the heavy and the light side of music. Faves are PSYCHOSOCIAL, DEAD MEMORIES, SNUFF and SULFUR.
    dbskateteam
    i really think everything was great but corey's voice doesn't sound like older slipknot is sounds more like stone sour im not saying thats bad but when 6 months ago clown said it was going to be the heaviest yet that made it kinda a let down any1 agree or am i pissing in tha wind?