All Hope Is Gone review by Slipknot

• Released: Aug 26, 2008
Slipknot: All Hope Is Gone

Ah, yes. Slipknot. Somehow I get the feeling they were looking for an alternative name for a noose but found 'slipknot' instead. Ah, well. Onto the fun. Now, I like Slipknot. Not because they're an angry band, or metal extraordinaire. No, no. It's because of the masks. They want you to hear the music, rather than see the beauty. It makes me feel there are actual talented artists out there that don't rely on beauty to win fans. So Slipknot, unlike those damned pretty Jonas Brothers, wear the masks, a reflection of themselves, to douse the idealistic thought of their fans liking them because they're handsome. Oh, far from it. And I love anything non-conformist. But I'm missing the point. Slipknot. Metal. Hard rock. Yadda yadda. You know how it goes. Add some lyrics, put some fast, crazy music. And we're done. Congrats, everyone.

One thing I've always had against Slipknot is their sense of rhyme. They seem to think rhyming from verse to verse opposed to line to line works out perfect. Uh... huh... Right, then. Whatever you please, boys. As long as it works. And one thing I've noticed is no one can agree on the correct lyrics. Just a few moments ago, I attempted to look up the lyrics to Psychosocial (my favorite on this album). I found about fifty bloody different versions. Luuuuuckily, I know what the song is about, so I made my own interpretation. Thanks to the big man for that. And one last thing, maggots. Corey Taylor's skills as far as singing goes are pretty damn impressive. He goes from pseudo-angry screaming to clean singing in mid-line. That's really impressive in my book. He has such a good voice. My throat hurts just imitating the chap.

Well, to be honest and quick to the point, this is the best Slipknot yet. But I do think I've come up with a reason as to why they're so bloody angry in their songs. They're from Iowa. And what is there to do in Iowa? Start fires and tip cows (no offense to any of you Iowa-dwellers out there). Anyway, as far as the songs go, Psychosocial and All Hope is Gone are best. The rest are the usual Slipknot goings. Angry, fire, angry, cow tipping. And yes. I will resort to that joke for every Slipknot album to come.

Ddrampagers
    Taint McGooch
    Ddrampagers : Dude so many people here are not maggots!!!! 1st album was amazing 2nd album was amazing 3rd album hmm they did it again amazing 4th is a ****ing joke!!! They will never make a album after this. Period!!!! They are dead now. Iam a maggot for life but this new cd blows chod.
    Dude, i thought being a maggot was sticking by the band...not forming your own opinion of how they should sound...anyone???