All Hope Is Gone review by Slipknot

• Released: Aug 26, 2008
Slipknot: All Hope Is Gone

Slipknot's newest album will definitely shock hardcore fans in that it is their most melodic effort to date, but unlike their previous effort Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses, when they decide to go heavy it begins to sound much like Iowa, though Vol. 3 was a great album, at times when it was agressive it felt forced and it wasn't as abrasive or disturbing as Iowa was. The album begins with "execute" an intro full of noise and nifty drum solos by Joey Jordison, it's very reminscent of "(515)" from Iowa, then everything rounds itself up and the first proper track on the album, "Gematria (The Killing Name)", this song alone shows that even though the members of the band were either taking a peaceful break or off playing in their side projects, they still had that same anger, hatred and agression they became known for. We then find ourselves listening to "Sulfur", the first track with melody in it, though it still has that agressive sound, the chorus has Corey singing in it and I have to say, Corey is a damn good singer and I'm happy to hear him singing on this album. But let's focus on the music now, the riffs that Mick Thompson and Jim Root provide on the first 2 tracks are brilliant, as are the solos, we finally get a Slipknot album where the talented duo get to show off their skills. When Sulfer ends we find ourselves with Pyschosocial, the first single, everyone is bound to have heard this song by now, it is definitely much more restrained than the rest of the album, it is a great track and definitely stands out. Now we come to "Dead Memories" a song that is bound to have hardcore fans scratching their heads, though I don't think it's a terrible track, it could fit on either this album or a Stone Sour album, the guitar tones are definitely Slipknot, but the melody and subject matter are Stone Sour, it was rather brave of them to put this on the album, especially so early on in it. Vendetta begins and shows a lot more promise, it is definitely closer to the old Thrash metal acts in style and arrangement than anything Slipknot has written. "Butcher's Hook" is definitely a stand out track, it is agressive and emotional to a relentless extent and definitely cements Slipknot as a top metal act of today. "Gehenna" is a restrained little piece with a haunting melody and atmosphere that is reminiscent of "Gently" from Iowa. "This Cold Black" is arguably the heaviest track on the album, I don't find myself listening to this track as much as the others' though, it's heavy, but a tad bit uninteresting. "Wherein Lies Continue" has a great anthemic chorus, but it also has some highlight heavy moments as well, another stand-out track for me. "Snuff" is without a doubt the most daring track on the album, it's a power ballad, and a good one too! A lot of fans will probably hate it, I don't care, I like this track. "All Hope is Gone" ends the album on a high and powerful note, it's heavy, fast, agressive and contains some of Joey Jordison's best drumming in years and I should also mention the guitarwork is phenomonal.

Slipknot have had a really great track record when it comes to lyrics in my opinion, and this album is no exception. This is the first Slipknot album to truly say without remorse that "THIS is how we live today, look what we have done, we need to do something about this", it is definitely the most political album Slipknot have released, but it also contains some nods towards social issues as well.

All Hope is Gone is definitely a great effort by Slipknot and it is a step in a good direction, many metal acts today find themselves becoming repetitive when they get to their 4th major label album, but not Slipknot, somehow they still manage to remain fresh and original after all these years, and they blow away all of the competition. 2008 was definitely a good year for me, because three of my favourite bands were releasing a new album, we had Death Magnetic by Metallica, Shogun by Trivium and neither of those albums disappointed me. This album will probably dissapoint a few fans who were expecting the entire album to be as heavy as Iowa, I wouldn't have minded if it was, but I am satisfied with the way All Hope is Gone has turned out so I won't complain. There isn't a weak track on this album, but a few weren't as impressive as the rest, though they were still good tracks.

HATECREWofBODOM
    I've been a maggot since the 4th grade, I'm now a Junior. I think it's funny all these people are saying it's "Stone Sour-ish" because Corey is singing more. It's redundant and much as it is dumb. You realize what that shit does to your throat right? It's not their heaviest album, but they are all involved. There are some really cool solos, and a slow song BUT COREY ALWAYS WRITES A SLOW SONG. (on nearly every album) Slipknot would be boring as shit if they had the same sound, it would be like Dragonforce....ew. Yeah they've changed a bit haha, but they do not suck. It's not like they released a huge change like "Death Magnetic"
    hawkdude9
    Arkenium12 wrote: ShadesOfNight wrote: dude, they're just normal ****ing people stop being so ignorant, everyone was saying what you said when they were 6. grow the hell up. and on the album...aside from psychosocial and snuff, i was greatly disappointed. all the songs sounded like each other, corey had no variation...he was almost monotoning his way through the rest of the album. il stick to their last 3 thanks. r u deaf?! corey has no variation?! r u f**king high? going from total scream-o in all hope is gone to melodic clean vocals in snuff isn't variation?! idiot, think about what u say b4 u post.
    screamo? go listen to freaking alesana and senses fail for that crap. anyway i give it a 6. it deserves a 5.5 but you cant put halves... i totally sound like a "TRUU METUHLHEAD" when i say this but new slipknot is shit. sure, there are some listenable tracks, but does this parallel the self-titled's pure anger and feeling? granted, people say "this album is more melodic, it has more feeling!" no, corey did the job better than he does now on the self titled, as well as iowa. he sings just as well on those albums, and that they accentuate the music, instead of him singing on every ****ing track (except gemataria and the title track of course.). those albums had something the new ones (vol. 3 as well as this one) had: they felt like they were out to prove something to people. this album doesnt.
    breakdownkid784
    i have to agree, this album sounds a lot like Stone Sour. i wished they would release a hardcore album that really did have the agression and in your face punch as the s/t and Iowa and have the instrument talent as Vol. 3. prob wont happen though.
    SGofawesome
    Veil of Lies
    SGofawesome wrote: BEST ALBUM BY SLIPKNOT! I'm surprised UG said Gehenna is the best song on the album...I thought it was the worst! It goes like this... 1. Gematria (.execute) 2. Psychosocial 3. Snuff 4. Sulfur 5. Dead Memories 6. All Hope Is Gone 7. Butcher's Hook 8. Vendetta 9. This Cold Black 10. Wherein Lies Continue 11. Gehenna If there was a greatest hits album... 1. Wait and Bleed 2. (sic) 3. Spit It Out 4. People = Shit 5. The heretic Anthem 6. Left Behind 7. Before I Forget 8. This Blister Exists 9. Pulse Of The Maggots 10. Duality 11. Gematria 12. Sulfur 13. Psychosocial 14. Snuff 15. Dead Memories
    I thought that Slipknot completely sold out on their nu-metal roots. I personally liked the way Corey Taylor "rapped." It was pretty much the only "rap" I would ever even consider listening to.
    Veil of Lies
    cracchiolo wrote: this cd blew my mind!!! i loved vol. 3 and when this cd came out i almost cried they have improved so muchmick tompson now uses sic guitar solos corey is going over some political veiws i loved how they introduced this cd with execute then into that headbanging anthem gematria (the killing name) i have always been a die hard slipknot most people before this cd came out would say you like slipknot? ewww. now they are all like oh Psychosocial yeah i love that song! i love that song to everything is perfect!! if you don't like slipknot then don't post stupid comment's trying to brain wash people to think that this band is washed up so what if a band does not poduce the music you want them to if the world revolved around one person who had crappy taste in music then we would all be F***ked plus this band came from iowa how many hardcore metal band do you know of that are from iowa and got this huge? none thats right none so don't write stupid crap!
    That just makes it so much worse. Do you realize that, now, EVERYBODY likes Slipknot. It's stupid. I was with them from Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat. I hardly like any of this shit from All Hope Is Gone. It makes me want to throw myself off a bridge. People say that, "I like this new album because it has more feeling." Are you f--king crazy? Where were you for (sic)? How about Disasterpiece? Hell, even The Nameless? I say who gives a shit where you come from, if you're gonna go places, at least have the decency to know where you came from.
    breathemusic118
    To Veil of Lies and a bunch of other people, Don't criticize just because others haven't heard as much Slipknot as you had and aren't a die hard fan like you are, it doesn't give reason to get pissed off at each other. Sure this album isn't the original Slipknot but I think it made a great leap towards a new sound and more meaningful lyrics. Whether or not its not the hardcore blow your ****ing mind away lyrics and sound you were expecting from all of the songs on this album, its still worth listening to. This is one of the best albums I've ever heard, and throughout it, Slipknot branches off into things like politics and religion which if you don't actually listen to the lyrics can make it seemingly not worth your time. Slipknot's still hardcore and you can tell from songs like Psychosocial and Sulfur on this track, and although its not Left Behind or Get This its still pretty brutal. We need to be focusing on the real enemy-----Lady Gaga
    breathemusic118
    To Veil of Lies again (For previous posting), How do you sell out into nu-metal?? And Slipknot is definitely not nu-metal when you compare it to other bands in that category.