Iowa review by Slipknot

• Released: Aug 28, 2001
Slipknot: Iowa

Slipknot put their full force behind this album, a mix of hardcore/nu-metal/grind/rap and even industrial. One may think that this mix of genre's would sound something like and audible bomb, but Slipknot pull this off not only with the best sounding CD since the release of their self-titled album. Joey Jordison's drumming is not only fast, visceral, and even ambient. With each song the drumming has a new distinct, true (being the only word I can find to describe it) sound. IOWA is one of the biggest showings of this, IOWA's ethereal sound, the dark drumming. Guitar, both by Mick Thompson and James Root are completely awesome as guitarists on this album, their fury in Heretic Anthem, I Am Hated and People=Shit prove Slipknot is one of the heaviest and best bands of our time. Left Behind shows that the heaviest guitar can be rolled over into slightly simplistic yet undeniably powerful intro and chorus riffs. Corey Taylor's vocals are beautiful, and awe-inspiring, dark, and visceral. IOWA shows his darkness, as he whispers, moans and roars his way into one's mind. The change between singing and screaming on Left Behind is streamlined and slightly mainstream. Pual's bass is dark, and furious, though less abundant than the guitar, drums and vocals. Sid Wilson and Craig Jones' work on the album, though less than on the selftitled album, still add ambient, ethereal, dark, industrial, and spastic feel to each song they touch.

The writing on this album works, it is good, sometimes great. Corey uses his vocabular knowledge is put to good use throughout the album. The writing though will win no awards for Slipknot, as it is otherwise simplistic and either too blunt, or too encrypted at times. The lyrics are perfect for the music, and a complete feeling fills the songs. Corey does an almost perfect job as the words are sung beautifully.

Another one of my favorite albums ever. Left Behind, Heretic Anthem, People=Shit, I Am Hated and IOWA are all must hears. Every part is filled with the energy that made Slipknot, Slipknot! The only thing I don't like is the lack of lyrical prowess. I need to buy it again, or even burn it from a friend, IOWA was my fav CD, and I did lose it, I gotta get it again!