Iowa review by Slipknot

• Released: Aug 28, 2001
Slipknot: Iowa

This was the first Slipknot album I ever bought. I'd been told by many friends that Slipknot would be my type of music, since I love metal. Well they were damn right! I saw the shiny reflective cover of Iowa and just had to buy it, to check it out. When I heard the first song, (515), I kinda freaked out, wondering what on earth I had bought. Then People=Shit started, and I thought "wow, I didn't realise how pissed off you can get". From that moment on, I loved Slipknot. It is probably the heaviest music I have ever heard. It's really catchy death/nu metal, if you can call metal catchy. This album is the one album that totally changed my view of music, and I moved away from the conformist style music to metal.

The lyrics are all about anger, hatred and violence (self-evident). But the lyrics seem touch a little deeper, if you listen to them carefully. They are about subjects many a musician wouldn't dare go near, let alone express in such a way that Slipknot does. Sometimes, the lyrics do stray a bit from their topics, but generally they are great and to the point. The singer (or screamer, cause he hardly ever sings) has fantastic vocals, despite the fact it's not really singing. It adds a fair bit of depth to the music, and makes the whole album just that much more surreal.

I can't really compare Slipknot to any other band or musicians that I know. The best songs on this album are probably People=Shit, Disasterpiece, and My Plague. These are really catchy songs, that just get in your head and you can't get them out. To finish, slipknot and their music are something to be reckoned with. I seriously would not want to cross these guys path, particularly after they've done a recording. Top stuff, give it a shot, and if you're a metal fan, it's a must buy.

ricthesic
    i dont understand why ppl who dont like slipknot go and search slipknot on ultimate guitar read the reviews then make a bunch of insults like douche bags i dont go looking for fall out boy reviews so i can piss some gay emos off so why waste ur time???