Iowa review by Slipknot

• Released: Aug 28, 2001
Slipknot: Iowa

Iowa takes you through the darkest parts of life in general and shows you how much it can affect any one person. This is done by intense and brutal sound; low tuned and crushing guitars and bass, speedy drum beats, and scary uses of samples and turntables. The intro (515), for example, is creepy samples work and a person shouting "death" over and over. This is similar to Slipknot's self titled album where the intro is "the whole thing I think is sick" said over and over. It gives you a creepy vibe and that's exactly what it's set to do; along with intordoucing you to the rest of the album. The sound is simply amazing.

The lyrics this time around are brutal and "in your face". With songs such as Disasterpiece, showing a great amount of hate towards one person; to songs such as I am Hated, showing self respect and not caring what others say or think about you. Everything is pretty straight forward (I.e. "people equal shit", you can't get any clearer than that). Each song has a certain reason and meaning behind it. Corey Tayler does his best to represent that through his lyrics.

This is one of the best Slipknot albums, and hell, to me, one of the best albums out there. Every song will make you feel differently and will trigger certain emotions maybe even memories and you'll have something to say about them. There is no "one song is better than the other", each of them are amazing in their own way. This album is killer, if I lost it I would have to make another purchase. If it was stolen, I would have to make a kill.

Veil of Lies
    Gibson_SG_uzr55 wrote: Why is there a goat head on the album cover? Slipknot isn't really a satanic band.
    If you ever pass through Iowa, you will be very lucky if you don't see one goat.
    IfDaysEnd
    hiimwilson2010
    im sry but i really didnt like this album as a whole a few pretty okay songs... but overall im not too satasfied
    El_KINGG33
    Unless they dont count metal as a genre, i don't see how this falls under rock.
    thezohan
    I have every album(except MFKR) and Iowa and the self-titled one are tied. Vol. 3 is Decent same with all hope is gone.
    legend shredder
    IfDaysEnd wrote: I hope they show better themes on their new cd's songs. All these lyrics seem to be written by a teenager trying to look older, I mean, how old is Corey in the first place and he is still singing about cutting his wrists and being himself and all that. And the question that has ever been in my mind, why the **** are they ****ing using goats and pentagrams? That's the worst poser act I've ever seen.
    come on dude how old r u? does ur mommy no ur on the internet? lol dude if u dont like the lyrics then stop listening to them... pretty simple. and they dont use pentagrams d**kweed they use a nonagram, which is a nine pointed star cus theirs 9 people in the band... and besides their not a sh*tty pop-rock band so they can use goats and stuff and sing about stuff like that cus their a HEAVY METAL BANK!!! and a pentagram is only satanic if they have a long tail. seriously dude make sure u no what ur talking about before u talk about this stuff. and btw corey is not an emo he writes songs about the bad stuff in his life, and if u watch his interview on youtube or somethin (the behind the 9 one) u can see that he didnt really no his father so ud expect a few bad moments. but seriously dude go listen to ur poofy falloutfags or somethin if u cant take heavy lyrics. great album btw!! stay (sic)
    cracchiolo
    i love slipknot!!! every song is good my fav song on this cd is 'I AM HATED' that song is great!!!! corey taylor is f***ing awesome!!!