Iowa review by Slipknot

• Released: Aug 28, 2001
Slipknot: Iowa

first thing I would like to say is that I love slipknot they are one of my favorite bands, and I would listen to them all day non stop. IOWA is most likely my favorite album. This album is a must if you call your self a maggot. Compaired to there self titled album this album is heavier and darker. Slipkot is well known for there heavy guitars and insane drums. Many of the songs are tuned to Drop B, this time around about half the album is on drop A. Mick Thomson and Jim Root's guitar work on this album is amazing. The two work together perfectly when playing songs like the heretic anthem and disasterpeice.

Corey Taylor lets it all loose on this album. Using every word in the book to describe personal struggles, depression, and everything in between. Many of these themes you can relate to in some way. Though my favorite song has to be the heretic anthem, just because of how well its screamed and lyricly it gives one the sense of impending doom. Corey has laid down some sic lyrics on this album and holds nothing back.

This album is a great buy and is a must for any Maggot, saying you like slipknot and not having this album is hypocritcal. Though if you new to slipknot I wouldn't recomend starting here. Start out on volume 3 and work your way back. Some of the bands most memorable songs come off this album, imagine a whole crowd of maggots screaming at the top of there lungs, "IF YOUR 555 THEN I'M 666" after hearing the heretic anthem you will find yourself singing or screaming that everywhere you go. Though I did not like the last song IOWA due to it being about 15 minutes long. Other then that one song the rest of the album is a great listen, especially before church on sundays.

5t0rM
    Great album, heavy as f***. Drums are just crazy. Whoever says this isn't Metal doesn't know what Metal is. As for the sub-genre... I don't know how to classify this album, but it doesn't really matter. It's tagged as Nu Metal and I don't have any problems with that, although it isn't Nu Metal.
    TerryFinn
    legend shredder wrote: IfDaysEnd wrote: I hope they show better themes on their new cd's songs. All these lyrics seem to be written by a teenager trying to look older, I mean, how old is Corey in the first place and he is still singing about cutting his wrists and being himself and all that. And the question that has ever been in my mind, why the **** are they ****ing using goats and pentagrams? That's the worst poser act I've ever seen. come on dude how old r u? does ur mommy no ur on the internet? lol dude if u dont like the lyrics then stop listening to them... pretty simple. and they dont use pentagrams d**kweed they use a nonagram, which is a nine pointed star cus theirs 9 people in the band... and besides their not a sh*tty pop-rock band so they can use goats and stuff and sing about stuff like that cus their a HEAVY METAL BANK!!! and a pentagram is only satanic if they have a long tail. seriously dude make sure u no what ur talking about before u talk about this stuff. and btw corey is not an emo he writes songs about the bad stuff in his life, and if u watch his interview on youtube or somethin (the behind the 9 one) u can see that he didnt really no his father so ud expect a few bad moments. but seriously dude go listen to ur poofy falloutfags or somethin if u cant take heavy lyrics. great album btw!! stay (sic)
    He does have a point, but it's not a good one. One could say that songs about slitting wrists and identity is a silly "teeny" thing. Slipknot is not truly about any of these things, Slipknot has always been about the things we see common in all their albums. This album is about how ****ed up people are, how disrespectful and ignorant we are towards each other, and how ****ed up it makes us feel. All Hope Is Gone has a more political message, but it's still about this. It's just another take on it. Corey uses himself as an example about how everything is shit, and how he (like many Slipknot fans) has had to endure it. This album is the best that could ever happen to anyone who has felt it on their bodies how cruel people can be. This album is an insult to them, a statement that tells them: "You are the losers, and that's why you're shit". The songs that really makes this statement is "People = Shit", "Disasterpiece", "My Plague", "The Heretic Anthem", etc. When it comes to "Metabolic", it's more about that Corey admits his imperfection.