Slipknot review by Slipknot

• Released: Jun 29, 1999
Slipknot: Slipknot

This album reigns over anything else released at the time. Ross Robinson was a genius the, and he's a genius now. Joey did a really good job on "Spit It Out". In some songs, the band incorporated rap style vocals (Spit It Out, Only One, middle of Liberate) to please Shawn, who grew up on hip-hop. They did really well in terms of this.

I love the lyrics on this album, as well as the singing. Corey has an amazing voice, whether he's screaming his lungs out or whispering in the background of the music. I was pretty disappointed when I found out that Corey only wrote "Prosthetics", "Liberate", and "Eyeless". Apparently Joey, Mick and Paul write most of their songs. Joey wrote the highly underrated masterpiece "Scissors", one of my favorite songs, along with "Prosthetics" and "Surfacing".

Not many people know that "Eyeless" was written a few years before Slipknot even got together. It started out as a poem about Corey's dad, whom he never met. The lyrics all together make a great listen and blend in with the music really well.

This cd shocked me. I first heard Slipknot on the Resident Evil DVD, you know, the "My Plague" video. I fell in love with that song, but over time, I forgot about it. One day after school, a friend asked me to watch his Cd player while he was in basketball practice. I did, and after a few minutes, I decided to see what he'd been listening to. Inside the Cd player was Iowa, and I listened to it for an hour or so, but because I was also watching the practice I wasn't exactly listening to the songs.

I was hearing them, but not listening. Then "My Plague" started, and I was overjoyed at having remembered it. I went out the next day to buy that cd, but at my local cd store, they were only carrying this CD.

I had heard from some other friends that the Self-titled Cd blew Iowa out of the water, but I didn't believe them. Little did I know that by buying that cd that day, I was starting a new musical style for myself.

At school, everybody knew me as the "sissyboy who likes Blink-182 and New Found Glory". After they heard me mumbling these lyrics as I walked through the school halls, I was known as the "poser". Now, they've calmed down a bit as they saw that I only got myself in deeper by falling in love with Killswitch Engage, Cradle of Filth, and Avenged Sevenfold.

Feel happy for me, imbeciles! Since I'd never be dumb enough to lose this, if it got stolen I'd find whoever did it, beat them senseless, and get it back. (Little joke there) :)