Slipknot review by Slipknot

• Released: Jun 29, 1999
Slipknot: Slipknot

Slipknot are a nine piece death metal band, comprised of 2 percussionist, drummer, bassists, guitarists, and vocalists, but this album has a sound to it most metal bands can't get, because rather than just shouting and heavy guitars, it has an innovation to it, best shown with "Wait And Bleed".

The lyrics don't particularly try to get a specific point across but it is really interesting to listen to what Corey Taylor, with his brilliant singing voice sings very passionately, the man is clearly enjoying himself, like all singers should.

Its my favorite album of its kind, in my top 5 albums, along with "Toxicity", "Lest We Forget", "Appetite For Destruction" and "Nevermind". My favorite song being "Wait And Bleed", so if you like metal and haven't bought this, you owe it to yourself to buy it.

iommi600
    Dear god, this recent review is so bad. Death metal? Are you serious?
    milliorn
    The most terrible, worst, opinionated, bias review I ever read on this site. I like this album, but it's not amazing, which that word is repeated in every review due to the deficient vocabulary of these KIDS that posted.
    coltwanger
    theblackwell wrote: XxWoRdSoFsOrRoW wrote: im gonna do more than just bash it but i actually have reasons to everyone just listens to this so they can think there all badass cuz they listen to a popular heavy metal band when its only popular cuz of posers out there. this band has no talent cept for maybe the drummer hes pretty good but seriously aneone could tune down to f***ing drop b or how ever low there tuning is and sound cool but you have to see past there gimmicks to show that they are truly talentless and on top of that his singing? what singing? at least some metal bands actually have good voices so they can rely on that to make them more unique but slipknot doesnt even scream or sing its more of just yelling out shit that doesnt mean anything so yea they may have there moments but there only popular cuz of wannabe badasses so that goes to u myampgoesto11 slipknot stands out more than other heavy metal bands cuz of posers who think there hardcore and thats all there is to say The fact that everything they've ever released has gone platinum speaks for itself. And yeah, you're definitely one to talk about posers when your screen name is lyrics from a Bullet for My Valentine song. Mick and Jim have been recognized as 2 of the top 100 guitarists in the world, Corey Taylor was obviously a good enough vocalist to have VELVET REVOLVER consider him as a their new front man, Joey Jordison has been recognized as the best metal drummer in the world numerous times and Paul Gray has a Golden Gods Award named after him. Their talent is evident. It's one thing to dislike a band, but to be as ignorant and idiotic as you are is pointless. You have no idea what you're talking about. There's nothing you can say after this, I'm completely right with everything I've said, and I live in Des Moines, Iowa so it's pretty much required by everyone hear to know Slipknot's talent.
    Did you even see this comment was written 6 years ago?
    theogonia777
    I agree that the most recent review is one of the worst reviews I've ever seen. How does UG allow such bad reviews to be put up on the site? The review really doesn't even say anything. It's four almost-coherent run-on sentences and that's it. It doesn't tell you anything about the album other than that the reviewer seems to like it, and the viewer doesn't even try to support his points (which, to be fair, wouldn't hold any water even if he did support them). Even my review of his review is longer, more in depth, and more coherent than the actual review itself. Talk about a lack of quality control.
    Ultraussie
    'At school, everybody knew me as the "sissyboy who likes Blink-182 and New Found Glory". After they heard me mumbling these lyrics as I walked through the school halls, I was known as the "poser". Now, they've calmed down a bit as they saw that I only got myself in deeper by falling in love with Killswitch Engage, Cradle of Filth, and Avenged Sevenfold.' Still a poser lulz
    JamesAutumn
    I like alot of slipknots older albums they were interesting and provided something new to the scene they were in at the time and i know i'll be under fire using the word "scene", but honestly when they hit Volume 3 things really seems interesting especially when they showed a bit more maturity structure meaning they "weren't as angry as they were from the start" and it's good bands can move past all that rage sometimes you just can't be pissed off 20 years you gotta chill out and go from metal to rock out and i appreciate these guys did that with tracks like snuff and circles.
    Louthesnakeman
    ProgFripp74 wrote: Louthesnakeman wrote: I forgot who wrote it; but Jim root one of the best pinched harmonic-users? wtf? I suggest you listen to other bands first XD Anyway; It's not really my favourite album/band, but some songs are nice. He's obviously not listened to kse. To the point, How this latest review got published is beyond me. It focuses on one song and nothing else, on top of that it doesn't discuss anything to do with the music and Corey rarely sings in this album. I do believe the reviewer only listened to wait and bleed and nothing else. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really a fan of slipknot but there is something to be said for being stricter on publishing reviews as this one ignores nearly all the review guidelines... Come on UG -_-
    Joel Stroetzel, Dimebag Darrel, Zakk Wylde, Brent Hinds, Nick Cordle, Michael Amott. Just to name a few. Anyway, you're right... it's a pretty shitty review anyway.
    Louthesnakeman
    christhehammett
    I didn't read the reviews but I REALLY enjoyed this album, made me survive in this world when I was in my darkest hour.
    sethkins
    MudVayNe999 wrote: wow here u are again every ****ing review your gay, you have no life, youve proably never met a girl, you proably havent even hit puberty yet, slipknot stand out because people like them, people like them because there good, corey can sing 100000X better then you, and the band memebers can play there instraments 100000X better then you so shut the **** up and listen to the damn music thats all there is to say
    i bet he can spell 100000X better than you
    theblackwell
    CoreysMonster wrote: myampgoesto11, you said that that was slipknots second album, your wrong, its thier first. Thier ssecond album is Iowa You're wrong, dude. The first album was M.F.K.R., with slightly different band members (ok, singer, guitarrists and no DJ or 133)
    Uh, you're wrong "dude", MFKR was demo. Not an album.
    swave75
    MatasTeen wrote: So much fanboy-ism here. My eyes hurt.
    Not a huge Slipknot fan but I thought this was a very raw album.
    BwareDWare94
    I dig Volume 3, but that's it for this guy. I don't hate Slipknot. I feel for them over the loss of their bandmate. This album and Iowa, seen as both innovative and interesting, are neither to me. I find that only Joey's drumming was interesting. I was extremely bored by this album and Iowa. It's too bad that you can't say something like this around some people.
    74SLIP26KNOT
    I believe you haven't seen Mick or Jim play guitar... Just because their songs are easy doesn't mean that they can't play more complicated stuff...
    ProgFripp74
    JelloCrust
    Can everyone just, I don't know, calm down and not throw out curses like middle schoolers who just learned there are no real ramifications for it. Also, this hate-down has spanned quite a few years, let's bury the hatchet. Look, so the guy was hatin'. But Ya'll Need to check yourselves before you wreck yourselves. To be honest, there is some skill involved in Slipknot, but largely they use their massive numbers as a crutch. . . which I guess works, but ya know. The Guitarist has some legitimate skill, but you can say the same about any glam metal guitarist (well, not any), and to be honest the lyrics are a bit shallow in the grand scheme of things. The state of Iowa is awful, but growing up in a place with nothing to do isn't the end of the world, stop hating your parents for living there, only hate them if they're actually abusive. As far as music goes, this is okay, not something I want to listen to. . . ever again, but it exists, and they continue playing and have fans. I really don't get it, the sounds is readily repeatable and they're a gimmick band, but good for them anyway. If you want loud ruckus and really heavy drumming, might I interest you in Crust punk or D-Beat punk, that way you don't have to pay exorbitant amounts of money for something that most kids who hate their surroundings end up playing. Or better yet don't be a genera snob, you'll look like a fool when (if) you get to college. Two final notes, I know ya'll have the security of anonymity behind your computer screens; but seriously, who casts aspersions on people because you disagree with their tastes? And to the person who called Slipknot death metal. . . no. And let the hate storm begin. Haters gonna' hate.
    mfkr
    I wish I could remove that review, I wrote it when I was like 14. "OMG Slipknot just sound... so good like everything is really really awsome!!" UGGGGHHHH SHUT UP
    theblackwell