Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

I bought this cd after playing the single on my radio show and liking the sound of the band. I thought "maybe, just maybe the whole cd is as good as this...", unlike some other cd's I've purchased. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this cd far exceeded my expectations. Theres a great variety of songs and moods throughout, and the sound quality is just amazing. You can hear all of the musicians now. It's not muddy at all. Well done Mr. Rubin. The guitars have an interesting tone, they seem to change continuously to me. It's also nice to hear guitar solos. One of my favorite parts comes in the chorus to "The Nameless", as the band adds vocal harmonies to Corey's melody. Very nice. How they are going to pull this song off live though.

The lyrics are quite a change from old school Slipknot. Not near as angry. The lyrics match the songs well. Heavy songs are a little angrier, while the lighter songs delve more into the subconcious and seem moodier than the rest.

I would say this is one of the best rock releases of the year so far. Every song is an entity unto it's own, and the musicianship is far surpassing their earlier releases in every apsect. The production allows for every member to be heard through the mix. Definetely a must have for any hard rock/metal fan.