Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

Hmm, what can I say. It's good if you like the untalented Nu-metal that bands are putting out today. People say that this is Slipknot's Master of Puppets, and how it's a creative masterpiece and that they actually put some solos into and how they've grown musically. I personally loved the song "Duality". When I heard what people were saying about this album and that song, I knew I had to get this album. Oh, what a mistake. It's pretty much the same thing recycled throughout the album. Nothing changes, just a bunch of screaming, lyrics about how Corey hates himself (and maybe on how he hates society), just hate, hate, hate, and more hate. Maybe a few songs are exceptions. I'm not sure.

The lyrics, well, pretty much speak for themselves. The idea I got from "Duality" is that Corey can actually sing, but, as soon as I got a glimpse at the other tracks, it was just what had been done before. The lyrics are not the worst part of the album, though.

I don't see anything in Slipknot. Sure, they did a ballad like song with some acoustic (what did I hear, an E chord? is that it?) but it was umelodic and just boring. And every other track is just filled with the same dropped-A power chords and mindless screaming and double-bass drum filled beats. Am I the only one brave enough to step up and say something about this? Unless Slipknot changes their style drastically for the next album, I'm done with them, and I sold this album for a good 3 dollars at Budget CD. I would much rather listen to some real metal, such as Master of Puppets, Rust in Peace, Cowboys From Hell, Killers, or even a more "grunge" album like Dirt. Those albums, my friend, actually have some musical value in them. Not this Slipknot bullshit.