Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

This album can be described in one word. Epic. It really is. Throughout the entire album the sounds are changing, a contrast beetween melodic and heavy. From the 'Pink Floyd' esq intro, like nothing that you've heard from these guys before, to the Death metal 'Three Nil', to the shredding-fest 'Opium Of The People', to 'Vermillion Part 2' - One of the most beautiful songs on the album. To tell the truth, there is no reason why any metalhead shouldn't like this but it all comes down to your point of view I guess. Excellent.

The lyrics were extremely impressive on this album, manifesting coreys sonwriting skills. It's a large step up from 'Iowa's' lyrics, wich seemed to be hate fuelled pretty much all the time, but these lyrics are much more diverse, from love, to society, to war, to what it means being a human, he writes about alot of things. Another thing that impresses me is his large vocabulary, that I, shamefully had to fetch a dictionary to understand what some of them meant! But well done corey.

As I said before. Epic. A must buy album of this millenium. Forget the masks, listen to the music, there's tonnes of talent in this extraordinary band. Bringing nine members to their full potential. The guitar solo's, may I say kick ass, the drums as always, are breathtaking, coreys vocals are much more diverse and impressive, the dj add's an extra spice to things. And the thing is, it all fits. They've raised the bar once again. Well done guys.