Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

Everyone hyped this album up, corey was quoted saying, 'this is the biggest -- you to the establishment we could think of'. I don't know if all the hype was totaly true but all I can say is this album is defently different but different in a very good way. Slipknot have defently changed since Iowa, it's less heavier and more melodramatic. The album starts with a eerie track called Prelude 3.0, when I first heard this track my hairs sttof up on the back of my neck and arms and I said to myself 'is this Slipknot?' If you didn't know it was Slipknot you would never of guessed. Then the CD goes heavier for Three Nil and The Blister Exists. Then the song Duality; I did like this song but I think slipknot have gone to mainstream with it and too 'poppy' if thats the right word. Theres also soft stuff on the album like 'Circle', 'Danger-Stay Away' and 'Virmilion Pt. 2'. Coreys singing voice in these songs is amazing. Oh and lets not forget the new national anthem 'Pulse Of The Maggots'. After you have listened to the songs a few times you can hear a stone sou relation as some songs really do sound like a dtone sour song. If you like the heavy old slipknot you might as well check it out but I'm not shure how much you will like it. I loved the heavy stuff slipknot did and I though this album was different but it grew on me.

Corey Taylor is amazing with lyrics both writing and singing. The lyrics are very meaningfull and dramatic. (This is the only band-well stone sour aswell-that I have to get a dictionary out to find the word meanings, corey is amazing with his choise of words and putting lyrics together.) These is defently more backing vocals which gives the music real feel and depth. Every song has a meaning and a cause. I really felt attacted to some of the songs becuase the lyrics are so powerful. (Oh and the whole album has a theme which I have yet not fully worked out nut I'm gussing something to do with a girl.)

Compared to other albums and artists in thier catogary it beats them any day. The best songs have to be 'Circle', 'Virmilion Pt. 2', 'Pulse Of The Maggots', 'Virus Of Life' and 'The Nameless'. I am very glad that Mick has included solos in the songs (amazing solos at that, try to learn 'Pulse Of The Maggots' solo!) This gives the music a new angle. The onlything I hate is that there is no very long song on it (like Scissors or Iowa), I think that the boys could of really experimented with a real long song like Iowa. This is a must buy for any Slipknot fan.