Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

What can I say. I think Slipknot really did a good job on this album. The sound is great. The guitars are more deep, melodic, and they play off eachother alot more. The sound is much more developed. Drums sound great sampling wasn't as prominant in this record, but it still added that flavor to it. Songs like "Opium Of The People" has great openings, and changed alot throughout the song (multiple chorus', verses) wich added some variety to the music. The acoustic songs ("Vermillion Pt.2" and "Circle") really sounded great, especially with the dual guitars. Along with some of the more mellow songs ("Danger, Keep Away" and "Prelude 3.0") started and ended this album great. And the sound on the import bonus track, "Scream" was amazing.

The lyrics on this album were much more refined, the lack of cursing had so much more emotion in the lyrics. "Circle" used great metaphors to relate to things. The songs just had so much feeling in them, something I can relate to every day life. As always, Corey really does a great job with his voice. He pushed the limits with himself on this album, and did things that werent seen/heard on previous works. "Welcome" is a good example of his melodic screams that hyped up the song alot. "Duality" had a great sound to his voice, and the occasional backup by Chris and Shawn added some nice dynamic. The only problem I have with the lyrics is he sometimes sounds strained, and in the last chorus in Duality, "it pushed its way inside..." he sings the last word higher, when he always goes lower in live shows not really big but I think it would have made the song that much better.

I think it compared just as well as, if not better than there other albums. Some people give them crap for doing the mellower stuff, whatever, there pushing there boundries, I like that. It's worth the money, I would probably get it again if somethign happened to it but I'm not gonna let that happen. Its got a nice flow to it.