Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

I'd never heard an entire Slipknot song before buying this album except for Duality, which I loved, and was hoping every song would be as good. I was blown away, because every song is just as good if not better. The sound is great, 9 people producing a full-on metal assault. I don't really see what role the DJ plays - there isn't a lot of scratching. There is a lot of sampling and junk though, but I thought they had a Sampler that's not important though. The point is that the sound is awesome and can go from hard-pounding screaming and insane drums and guitars to soft, melodic, eerie stuff like Vermilion Part 2 and Circle. The sound is fantastic and nothing less than perfect.

After getting used to Corey Taylor's voice it's not hard to figure out what he's saying when he's screaming, which is definitely a plus because he's quite the poet. "Chemical burns and the animalistic, I'm just another hardline pseudo-statistic!" is what most of the stuff you'll find here sounds like, and while not all of it really makes sense, songs like Three Nil definitely do, when dealing with issues like acceptance brilliantly. Corey Taylor is definitely on my top 10 list of amazing singers.

I've heard samples of other Slipknot albums, and Iowa seems to be the better of the other two. The first one is just too hard for me. On Vol. 3, the best songs are actually, I love every single one of the songs except for The Virus of Life. It's just horrible I love everything about it, and the only thing I hate is I can't get "Unlock Joey" in the CD extras. If it were stolen or lost, I'd find whoever stole it and beat them with a large stick. Then get the CD back. I'd definitely buy it again. If it's your first time buying a Slipknot album, I reccomend this one because it's the most varied with all the acoustic songs and stuff. Slipknot rules!