Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

Ok all you people who said Slipknot are only about screamin and shoutin swears, be prepared to eat your words. It is a statement to show that after all the doubt, we can all see how incredibly talented each of them from 0 to 8 is. Corey Taylors voice still blows me away. From his mind destructive screams to his hauntingly melodic and beautiful singing voice he is an utter legend. Sure you may have heard him sing in his side project "Stone Sour" but who would have thought that he could incorperate this into Slipknot, one of the most destructive and heaviest bands to date. But even with the acoustic songs and the lack of screaming in this album, Slipknot still show that they are a metal band, and will plough anybody down who disagrees. Jim Roots guitar solo's are amazing and Joey's drumming is incredible.

Corey's singing is amazing. What more is there to be said. The lyrics are still as meaningful and passionate as previous albums, but now Slipknot have proved they can get a message across without swearing. The only swear in the whole album (as far as I know) is on Pulse Of The Maggots and that isn't even in the sung lyrics. Slipknot still strive to stand up for the litle guy. The ones who are scared to take a stand and make their voice heard. In lyrics such as "I fight for the ones who can't fight, and if I lose, at least I tried." Lyrics both sung and screamed are awesome. Corey's voice has no boundaries. And the sheer beauty shown on Vermillion Part 1 and 2 is astounding.

Those of you who have loved Slipknot from the very beggining should be proud that they can still produce mind blowingly heavy material, but now have the balls to stick a huge middle finger up at the world and say "look what we can do!" They should be proud that they have proved a good chunk of the music community wrong. They have experimented more, which is always risky but the end result I think we all agree is truly immense. Doubters of Slipknot and people who did think that all they were about is screamin and havin "scary" masks. Sit down, take a listen to this album and eat a slice of humble pie. Slipknot are back, but not as we no it.