Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

First of all: Slipknot's music is crazy. I think it takes a lot of musicianship and a slight bit of insanity for Slipknot to write songs. I think Slipknot's sound is very fierce and kind of gruesome, especially when you have 9 guys all doing their job in the studio and on stage. Slipknot had mostly heavy songs on the album, but if you're not in the mood for down-tuned guitars and maniacal drumming, you may want to listen to "Circle" or "Vermilion, Pt. 2." They use acoustic guitars and actually sing notes and harmonies!

The lyrics are great. Since Slipknot's music is part-rap-metal, they use many confusingly fast but equally impressive lyrics. I admit I had to use the dictionary after listening to it because I had never heard the words "convolution," "pariah," or "pretense" in a rock song. The lyrics fit right in with the loud, fierce music. Corey Taylor has such talent that he can yell loudly on one song and calm down and sing vocal harmonies on another.

"Slipknot Vol. 3" is definitely different, but I can definitely identify it with stuff like Fear Factory and Korn that I have heard before. The most impressive songs on the album are "The Blister Exists," "Three Nil," and "Circle." I love that I can get angry (for a reason) when I listen to Slipknot. I don't think I hate anything about it, other than that Shawn and Chris don't get much play time on the songs.