Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

There's not another band on the face of this earth that sounds like Slipknot. They bring the best of heavy, death, goth and nu-metal all into one little convenient package with this CD. On this CD there are 10 heavy songs that all have things to set them apart. "The Blister Exists" has a couple of drum solos in it. Yes I said drum solos. Joey just goes off on his double bass a couple of times in "Three Nil." "Duality" and it's Rap-Metal vibe is anthemic. "Opium Of The People" is the best song on the CD hands down. It's an eery shred fest w/ an awesome chorus. "The Nameless" has a eery vibe to start and then it brightens up to a sweeping, very melodic chorus. This is continued throughout the entire album. I'm telling you, every freakin song is different and unique. The slower songs Prelude 3.0, Circle, Vermillion Pt.2 and Danger-Keep Away give an excellent change of pace to the record that allows the listener to catch his/her breath before they start back to their sonic bombardment.

Not as angst-ridden as the previous efforts, which in my book is a good thing. It makes the album easier to listen to. Corey Taylor is an excellent vocalist with an amazing set of pipes. He can sing very melodicly and then in the next second bust your ear drums with a gravel throated howl. You really can't tell which was written 1st. The lyrics or the music and that's because they fit so well together. This just makes the CD all the more amazing because there is a wider variety.

IDK how it compares to their debut or Iowa. All I will say is that the few songs I have heard off those albums are the best ones and they really don't hold a candle to Vol 3. Slipknot loosened up on this one and they seemed to have more fun with this record. They aren't so concerned with hate this go 'round. They matured and it shows in the music. Best songs: Opium Of The People, Duality, Pulse Of The Maggots, The Nameless. People: the whole thing is amazing! Buy it now! if someone stole it, I'd hire a hitman to take out his punkass. I would buy it again without a second thought if it were lost or stolen.