Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

First, I'd like to say that Slipknot is definately not for everyone, and it is an acquired like, so everyone who doesn't like them, stop persecuting all us maggots. Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses opens with "Prelude 3.0" a slow riff with powerful chords and an eerie high guitar part in the chorus. near the end of the song, it suddenly becomes heavy with corey screaming "NO!!" over and over and the guitar eventually slides right into the next track, "The Blister Exists." this is one of the heaviest songs on the CD. I give this song a 4/5. I really like how slipknot sounds when they play this. everyones part all sounds great with each other. and corey really demonstrates his singing skills here. The Blister Exists opens with a heavily distorted guitar riff repeated alot until corey comes in with his screaming and then it only gets heavier. after the second verse, corey actually comes out with something rather melodic in the chorus, which immediately leads into the well known snare solo. after the snare has had its moment in the sun, the guitars come back in with high distortion and a lot of feedback, as mick plays an eerie backround riff. they enter the chorus twice more, and then the snare solo comes back in, and eventually ends the song. I give this song 5/5. This is the part of slipknot I like most. the crazy, uncontained screams and guitars. Three Nil is a strange song to be honest, I wasn't too impressed with it. It goes back and forth between corey semi-screaming, and all out screaming, with the same guitar riff being slightly varied in the bacround. the drum part did however impress me, as it always does, all in all, good guitar work, and good individual work, but I didnt like how it was put together. Duality is a great song! This is the more melodic side of slipknot. to be compared with the earlier "Wait And Bleed" Corey does a lot of singing in this song. and the guitars are awesome! this song is full of pinch harmonics and tremelo picking, and crazy cool riffs. the lyrics are very powerful too. its about "duality" or being stuck at the crossroads of life and not knowing what to do, and having to pick between one thing and another. Opium of the people is track 5. It opens with mick playing a high trilling riff, sort of like "surfacing" it soon after becomes heavy, adn corey does his thing. a lot of the song is just that same trilling, and heavy rythym but corey does sing a very melodic chorus. Personally, I would give this 4/5. Circle is the next one. As it opens, the sounds kind of reminds you of the opening in "Me Inside" that kind of shuffling sound. hard to describe, but instead of going into a really heavy beat, it slowly evolves into a very well put together acoustic song. corey's singing is great, and the song ends in a cool drum/mixing solo. Track 7 is "Welcome." Not many people really like this song, but I actually really do like it. It is a really heavy song, and about 16 seconds or so into it, Corey pulls of a really impressive almost "inhuman" sounding intro roar. This song has great riffs, and an amazing solo. Track 8 is the well known Vermilion. It begins with an eerie sample from Craig, imediately followed by the guitars playing the same riff. Corey begins to mutter, adn meanwhile, the same eerie music is playing. about half way through, the guitar solo comes in with screaming chords, adn just all around good playing, and then corey comes in with the chorus, and then it starts to fade away with corey screaming "She isn't real! I can't make her real!" Pulse Of The Maggots is probably my favorite song on this album. It opens with another sample from craig, sort of a siren sounding thing. Then coreys yelling comes in, and then the guitars with a cool low to high bendy riff, and some crowd cheer sound effects. with powerful lyrics, and an awesome guitar solo in the middle, this song can't be beat. Before I Forget starts with a very repetitive riff (if you've ever heard the song "Carve" on the 1997 demo tape, you'll recognize this riff). And then the singing comes in. and yes, I mean singing. This song has a great chorus that will definately catch your attention, and a pretty cool bridge. The song ends with the chorus over and over again, and then song weird indistinguishable morse code sounding thingy ending. Vermilion Pt. 2 is the big hit, acoustic ending to Vermilion. Personally, I like this one more than Vermilion pt. 1. Again, corey really shows how well he can sing in this song. All the parts in this song cooperate perfectly with each other. Everything fits. I definatley recommend this one to you slipknot haters, and slipknot lovers alike! The Nameless is another really heavy, screamy song that is just total chaos with an acoustic chorus, but slipknot managed to pull it off and make it sound great. The Virus Of Life is so goood! But it's beyond creepy, whenever I'm depressed out of my mind, this song helps me. It's so weird though. It has a weird like buzzing sound with a strange ride-cymbal part for joey, and this is one of the songs that oyu can actually here the bass part. Corey mutters throughout the entire song, and it makes you pretty wary about whats going on around you... when you listen to it, your like wtf? But trust me, it's good. Danger-Keep Away is just plain retarded. I don't know why they even recorded this, 'cause it was just a stupid ending to an otherwise good album.

The lyrics really fit the music. you could really feel the emotions in the music as well as the lyrics. Whenever there was a heavy song, generally the lyrics were pretty "heavy" as well. I mean they fit the context of the music. And the acoustic songs had pretty powerful lyrics, and the singing in the acoustic songs were just great.

Compared to previous CDS from Slipknot, this was somewhat of a letdown, but dont get me wrong, I loved every moment of it, but I prefer Slipknots earlier, heavier stuff. Most immpresive songs on the album in order are: Pulse Of The Maggots, The Blister Exists, Before I Forget, Duality, Vermilion Pt. 2, Opium Of The People, The Nameless, The Virus Of Life. The others were great, but just didn't stand out as much to me. Slipknot is definatley my favorite band, and as far as I am conserned, no other band in the nu-metal genre can even compare with slipknots talent. This album is definately a keeper. If you're gonna try out Slipknot for the first time, this is the album to get. It's not too heavy, but its not too soft either. If you're a hardcore Slipknot maggot, go for Iowa, of Slipknot self-titled.