Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

Slipknot's music has always inspired and calmed me. This morning going to playoff basketball game, I was going to throw-up. I listened to Before I Forget, and it calmed me. Their drummers are just awesome, their guitars stand out from every other "heavy metal" band out there, and the lyrics wrap it all up. The title "Subliminal Verses" prodes you to read between the lines. I'm not lying, as I saw this from the interview with Yahoo! If you've ever wondered why they were their masks, here's your answer. Corey says it comes from the fact that one of the members would wear his mask whenever they would play Tattered&Torn. So the others decided to wear their's and it just started to grow. They are so gruesome because, as Corey puts it, it's the guy inside of them that has to endure every bit of pain and suffering. When they play, it's his turn to say what on his mind, which also probably explains the deep sound of their music.

Though not as bad as some, their lyrics are hard to please anyone but hardcore fans. It would also come to shock if you were turning on a mp3 player and the first thing you hear is some dude screaming into a mic at full blast when you weren't expecting it. Been there. In future albums, it would probably be wise to use less screaming and more singing. But one suggestion can't change anything. Corey, however is very talented. It takes much more vocal endurence to scream versus singing. Regardless of complaints, a 7.

Slipknot is probably better vocally than other bands such as Bolt Thrower, in which you have no idea what they're saying. At they scream in a way you can understand. For the most impressive songs, I'd have to choose Before I Forget, Duality, and Circle because Circle shows that they are capable of singing and playing softer music, and Before I Forget and Duality because they're just awseome. But that's my take on them. If someone stole it, I'd seek them out and torture it out of them. I know I'm gonna get slammed for this, so I'm ready.