Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

Well, I'll put it this way: at first, I made a negative assumption about Slipknot before ever actually hearing any of their music. And then I heard this album. I was wrong! This album is so full-sounding. The guitars are very innovative in terms of both originality & technicality (the solos are pure shred). The vocals are at times brutal & very powerful, yet at other times very soft and melodic. The bass pounds your head in like there's no tomorrow. And the drums are pure genious-the double bass and fills are just mind-blowing! There's a lot of anthem-based material on this album, and of course, previous Slipknot fans will still be able to enjoy the complicated time signatures too. I have a 2-disc version of this album, which includes some unreleased tracks (which are also awesome), alternate versions of 2 of the songs, and a few live tracks taken as excerpts from their live DVD "Disasterpieces". All in all, this is a killer package.

Corey Taylor proves to be both an excellent lyricist and musical vocalist on this album. He has a great ability to scream and yell with clarity (as in "Three Nil" & "The Blister Exists"), yet at the same time; sing very soft and melodic stuff (as in "Vermilion Pt.2"). Overall, the songs were all obviously written in close contact with each band member because all of these songs are played so flawlessly by all of the menbers live as well. And with 9 musicians in a band; you could imagine how difficult that can be!

This album just sounds so awesome to me. The songs are very well-written and really get you into a headbanging frenzy. I think that this album destroys every other Slipknot release, and probably won't be beaten by another album to come any time soon! A lot of people have characterized Slipknot as "Nu-Metal", but this album seems to stray from that sound, and if listeners still believe that this album adheres to that sound, then it's very easy to say that Slipknot is definitely the leader of the genre. My personal favourites of this album include: "Opium Of The People", "Welcome", "Pulse Of The Maggots" & "Vermilion" (parts 1 & 2). However, I like pretty much every track on this album. If it were stolen, I'd cause a riot simply because I love it so much.

mfkr
    I'm a massive Slipknot fan but I do have to admit people overrate the band, mostly by saying "OMG slipknot r lyk da best fing eva!!1" but probably more people underate the band and the members. True Joey is overrated but that doesn't mean he isn't an awsome drummer. Volume 3 is a great album and a few people probably like that album more than the rest because the songs are more melodic. Most of their other stuff is more cold and dark. Volume 3 is still a good album though. Oh and one last thing, they aren't ****ing nu-metal.
    Shreddin 4 Life
    Here's the thing, if ur not a Slipknot fan, don't put them down just because u don't like it. Not everybody can like the same things and in music, that's even more so true. On another note, if ur not a Slipknot fan in the first place, why the hell are u even bothering to check out the reviews that fans make? Just so u can piss them off and tell them that their OPINION sucks? **** You! Good music is what u make of it, and if Sliknot is not that for u, then just keep it to urself about it and leave the fans in peace. I may not be a hardcore Slipknot fan, but I love this album just the same. All of the members are underrated and this album proves it. Oh yeah, maybe their first albums can be considered "Nu-Metal", but this one certainly is not: it's part of the "NWOAHM" (New Wave Of American Heavy Metal) as Guitar One magazine puts it. The riffs are innovative, and there are solos-good ones...
    Gibson_SG_uzr55
    All right now, I don't know what is going on, but does it say at the top of the page under styles that Slipknot is rap -metal
    KileManA7X
    Slipknot is a great band. This cd proves they have the talent a lot of emos would never even dream of having.
    Shreddin 4 Life
    Gibson_SG_uzr55 wrote: All right now, I don't know what is going on, but does it say at the top of the page under styles that Slipknot is rap-metal
    yeah, wtf's up w/ that?
    Gibson_SG_uzr55
    I notice that Slipknot reminds me of another band that we love w/ a name for there fans... KISS. I mean think: both hide thier faces when performing w/ a mask or facepaint(that are all cool as hell). Both where there own brand of outfits(slipknot has thier jumpsuits, kiss has... whatever you call 'em). And, they name the fans(slipknot calls them maggots, kiss calls them the kissarmy). See what I mean?