Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

What can I say, Slipknot has one of the most orignal sounds out there today, and they've done it without giving into the American mainstream bubble. Slipknot has managed to make death-metal, alternative metal, and even some rap-metal and create such a wide fan base, that they've created a precident for what metal should be. Truth is, I didn't used to like metal that much, but this album converted me into a true metalhead. Every song on this CD is great. Some I don't particularly care for as much as others (Opium of the People, Three Nil), but there's something in each of those songs that not only saves them, but makes them strong too. There are so many highpoints to the album that it's just ingenious: Prelude 3.0, The Blister Exists, Duality, Pulse of the Maggots, Vermillion, and Before I Forget are absolutely amazing.

Corey Taylor has got some thinktank going on these songs. If you don't believe me, just read the lyrics to Vermillion and you'll learn what true pain and love can be twisted into. Listening to the whole CD, there's no real pit falls and the flaws lyrically are so minor; there's a consistency through out the entire album that makes the lyrics just plain great.

I really try not to give every CD a 10 because lets face it, not every CD is perfect. there's always some flaws, which this album does have in a few minor points, but to the overall impression I give it a 10. Every song is great, every guitar crunch powerful, every thundering beat of Joey's drums fierce, every scream Corey lets out is intense. This album to me beats out even their debut album which is a bold statement I know, but it does so just barely. Slipknot is here to stay, criticisms or not, and they're not afraid to speak their minds.

metal maniac69
    this album is by far the best one brought out by slipknot because it shows the raw talent unmatched by any other band.
    bassist_j_666
    i love this album, very harsh. The vocals are pretty awesome too. my bands gunna cover them but in C tuning cuz i dont want my guitar or bass in B haha! love these guys, and this album is insane =]
    sl!pkn0t
    its an alright album but doesnt stand up 2 iowa. hope their next album is more like that.
    newman13
    I liked the review by someone up there( [.Malice.] I think it was. They admitted that they weren't a fan of the band but still gave them credit for being talented musicians. And to the people who said they learned how to p[lay their instruments better this time around, true, but Mick and Jim made a living as guitar instructors before the band broke, so I think that would imply that they knew what they were doing from the get-go. Not every guitarist is only good at one kind of music, as this album proves in my opinion. Also a lesser known tidbit of information: All 9 members of the band are guitar players to some extent or another, and the bassist Paul Gray writes a large chunk of their riffs.