Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

The one two punch of nu-metal Gods Mick Thompson (#7) and Jim Root (#4) is phenomenal! Steady, driving rhythm patterns lead almost every song and the album, and it works, to a point. Although the flow of the album gets about an 8/10, the repetitiveness of the songs really takes back from this album's potential. Without songs, such as 'Welcome', which has a strange resemblance to the later track 'The Nameless' with call and answer screaming matches between Corey Taylor (#8) and Chris Fehn (#3). Because of such drawbacks, the overall sound of the album gets a 6/10.

This is "Corey's Album". On every song, beginning to end he delivers a stunning vocal performance. Some moments send chill through your spine, such as the bridge in 'Vermilion'. And despite all the criticism, it is still SlipKnoT. With angry anthems of hate (e.g., Opium Of The People, Pulse Of The Maggots), to songs about battles with alcoholism (e.g., Duality), to problems with relationships (eg., Vermilion Pt. I & II, The Nameless), it is the same SlipKnoT with a tweaked sound. Which brings us to another point of criticism, Corey's new voice. Now, every 'KnoT fan out there wants more albums right? Well he changed his voice so he could go on singing. At the rate he was going, with his aggressive singing style, his voice would be blown out by album four (if that won't be the last one regardless).

Overall, this album was fantastic. A blend of the same old hard driving, crunchy, in your face guitar part, with Jim and Mick exploring the key element Slipknot has needed all along, soloing. Of course, a new singing approach by Corey Taylor makes this album significantly contrast previous releases (Slipknot and Iowa). This album, as said before, is still the SlipKnoT we know and love.

Jsj65
    PyroJesus
    Jsj65 wrote: This Album is the perfect Hard Rock Album to date. So ar no one has topped it. It's been in my cd player since the day of it's release. Nothing Can Beat It! Its not Harsh Enough to be considered Metall to me, like their Iowa Album but it is good. Iowa is Their best Album.
    Iowa not considered metal?!?!!?!!?!?!?!!1111E LEVEN That album was liek oh em jee teh pwn! How can you not call it metal?
    jfsj123
    slipknot rule n vol 3 subliminal verses kicks most metal bands ass from ere to Japan. long live the masked metallers of today