Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

I liked this album the best out of all of their albums. This album combines their heavy music with a normal voice that you can actually understand. Don't get me wrong, I love their other albums too but this one sticks out to me (and I like when you can under stand lyrics). Also, I think they really perfected their sound in this album in songs like Welcome and The Nameless. It makes you realize that Slipknot is not half-bad at soft stuff even though everyone thinks of them as screaming death metal freaks. But don't worry, there's still plenty of heavy stuff. This album also showed the skills of Mick and James on the guitar and Joey, Shawn, and Chris on the drums I think better than their first two albums in little parts that, if you listen carefully, are totally worth the ear strain.

Slipknot's angry tone is back with a vengeance but it's lyrics improved a lot. Now they use more meaningful language and big words that are a big improvement from their usual f--k this, f--k that. For you guys out there whose parents don't approve of explicit lyrics this is the Slipknot album for you unless your parents consider saying bitch and damn two or three times in like two songs an explicit album. I think Corey has a lot of singing potential in that he can yell, roar, sing normally, and sing softly, the lyrics usually go along with the music, too. Usually when the lyrics are about desires the music starts out mysterious and gradually gets heavier. The soft guitar also works out very well with their more sad lyrics.

I think this is definitely their best album out of all of them. Other albums are great too but not as great as this one. My favorite songs from the album are The Nameless and Welcome because of the fast pace, intense drums and guitar, and angry voice and lyrics in those songs. If you prefer softer songs I'd recommend Prelude 3.0, Circle, and Vermillion Part 2. I love everything about this album, even the turntable spins and the piano they play in some songs really gives this the edge that puts it above other bands. If I lost this CD I'd walk a mile through six inches of snow to buy it back, assuming I had a nice warm coat and hat.

StringsofBlack
    Because they wanted to prove you can figuratively destroy mankind without having to utter a single curse. The album doesnt have any cussing because it doesnt need it. The destruction is done with out it.
    PyroJesus
    It's nothing to do with destroying mankind. Slipknot still cuss like troopers live, and they destroy mankind "figuratively" in concert more than they do in studio. If that was what they were trying to do, they would have stopped swearing altogether. It's all about dredging up more fans by going mainstream and dropping out the main offense.