Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

The overall sound of the album is something of slipknot trying to be Radiohead meets slayer meets Korn meets Mr. Bungle. The whole album to me is very raw and the guitars come at you in that rick rubin style of production. The songs definetly differ and all though the album and all though it has it's share of filler it definetly has more songs on it. The album starts of with the haunting Prelude 3.0. I can't tell if this was like the intro on korns new album but it definetly had me interested. I didn't like the guitar solo's on the album. They just seem to all over the place and almost like they were made to come up with them right on the spot. It is not an enjoyable experience to here a Slipknot solo. The best way to understand me is to go buy the album and listen to it. Besides that I think that the overall sound of the album is something of a band wishing to expand there horizons and doing so that there core fanbase wont get alienated.

The lyrics are Slipknot lyrics they basically deal with hating yourself and being a maggot. I think that they could of done somemore thinking when it came to writing maybe more poetic lyrics besides that they definetly were trying to get to the point with this album as they normally do with there other albums. I think that the corey taylor has his worse moments on this record. Corey has been known to spin out a crazy no tolerance to his vocal style but this sounded to low and I think that he could have worked it up better. Chris has shown that he is amazing vocalist on this album they should definetly bring more of it into there next album.

As far as slipknot records go I think that this is slipknots most mature album to date. It shows how they are trying to break into a more progressive sound (it could be compared to Korn who als did this on there 8th studio effort). The stand out tracks to me were "The Blister exists," "Three Nil," "The Virus Of Life," "Circle," "Vermillion," "Before I forget" and "The Nameless." I would kill the person whoever stole this from me and would most definetly go and get a new one.

metalmaka
    The best album ive eva heard SlipKnoT kiks ass!!! i cant wait till there new album.