Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

Slipknot has gone experimental on this album. That is not a bad thing. In fact, it's quite nice. Their last albums were intense, brutal and heavy. Now it's time fore Slipknot to try other things, yet keep the same brutal low tuned guitars and unique turntables with samples and not to mention, three drummers (one drummer, two percussionists). With soft sounding like Vermilion Pt. 2 and Circle all the way to some heavy things such as Before I Forget (won a Grammy for "best metal performance") and Duality, Slipknot does a really good job at showing s a wide range of sounds and music while still presenting a general Slipknot feel.

The lyrics can be strong on this album. Each song has its own meaning. This album is the first Slipknot record to have a soft intro leading into a heavy song. It's really quite nice. Corey Taylor makes each song come to life with his voice. Some killer ways of saying things over and over (i.e. "All I've got is Insane" - Duality) make the mood of the album intense and enjoyable.

I love this record, man. Slipknot does a good job of modernizing a variety to their sound without ruining the band (unlike some bands). One of the best tracks on the album is Duality. Some killer stuff. I love the band's way of experimenting. If it was lost or stolen, I'm making another purchase.