Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

This is Slipknot's third album with the 9.0 lineup, as well as probably the best selling and most recognized of the original three albums. Vol. 3 continues the Slipknot sound with the same intensity fans have gotten use to, which it's downtuned guitar work and multiple percussionists, as well as improved upon it's lyrical work and explored new sonic territory with the acoustic work on Vermillion pt. 2.

Lyrically, this is obviously Slipknot. Even in the, seemingly out of place, Vermillion, the lyrics retain their dark, pessimistic, and at times, outright angry, tone that made Slipknot imfamous in the first place. You see Corey Taylor's voice hit pitches he hadn't touched in the self titled album or Iowa, and you get to see the softer side of his voice at times, something you normally wouldn't expect from the vocalist of a band like Slipknot. This is typical Slipknot-faire with some altering touches added in vocally.

Compared to their prior albums, Vol. 3 comes across to me as an 'okay' album. It still has the aggression I grew to love on the self-titled, albeit not as much. It just doesn't give me that punch in the face anger feel the first album did. However, it loses a lot of the glam I felt from Iowa, which to me, was their worst album. I guess you could say it's the best of both worlds. You see the typical Slipknot aggression in songs like The Blister Exists and Duality, and see the softer side in both Vermillion tracks. Like I said, the best, and in some cases, the worst, of both worlds. Overall, it's not a bad album though, but I would definately suggest the self titled album over this one anyday for newer fans. If stolen or lost I probably wouldn't bother with replacing it, as I'm not too big on the band, and I'm even less so on this album. Sure, I'd be upset, but I'd just rather spend the money on something else or on the self titled album.