Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

The sound in this Album is very different compared to the first two albums. This one sounds a bit more mainstream than the others. But, they still did a good job doing it. With corey's voice, it sound like your hearing it over a radio or a PA. The guitars even have that kind of same sound. The drums are, as usual, AWSOME! The DJ (sid) and Craig are as usual having their moments as well.

The lyrics didn't really leave the slipknot category. They did mold it in a new way. They arent a dark as previous albums, but They're still pretty good. (the meanings of the songs are from what I guess, so I could be wrong.) Tracks: 01. Prelude 3.0- I didn't really get the point of this song, but it sounds like someone who has kept in a secret or something around that and finally tells someone about it. THis song makes it seem like a dying statement due to "Now it's over". 02. The blister exists- mainly in this one, the singer is trying to tell you that, if he hates you, you've done something to make him have this hate. If he loves you, It's because you've respected him. simple as that. 03.Three nil- THe song is basically about embarassing defeat. Meaning 3-0. Corey makes the song sound about him having the winning advantage, but he's actually talking about being the one with no wins. so, as slipknot should do, take your anger out on the winner! 04.Duality- IN this one the songer is in pain that is excrutiating. The only way he can stop the pain is to "Push my fingers into my eyes". It also show he's not gonna let anyone rule or destroy him. 05.Opium of the people- From what I guess, The song is about judgement day coming, and everyone is expecting the songer to be the one to lead them out of danger or come up with some miracle to save them all. 06.Circle- This sone is very acoustic, unlike slipknot. THis song is about corey meetinghis father for the first time (when he was like 30). It talks about the cycle of life, death and reincarnation. 07.Welcome- this one is very underated.It's basically a political song, I believe. I cannot put my finger on what this one was about. This one is though really good. 08.Vermillion- This one is meant to be about a break- up. The woman is very upset, this break-up controlling most of her life. She finally decides to end it all by suicide. 09.Pulse of the maggots- The song is kind of a statement to the slipknot fans, known as "maggots". It means they will always be there for the fans and they will give them the most evil, destructive music known. 10.Before I forget- The opening guitar riff for this one always puts a chill down my spine. It talks about evolution and the nature of man. THis one is probobly one of the best songs on the album. 11.Vermillion part 2- This is another acoustic one, the second part to vermillion (obviously). This talks about the aftermath of the girls death, and she later findout that she is dead and is finally at peace. Kind of odd for a slipknot song, but whatever. It's still pretty good. 12.The Nameless- This song is very underrated and it is another one of the best songs on the album. This one ralks about someone who has mixed feelings for someone else. Basically, they love to hate and hate to love them. This one is weird, it goes from Pure heavy metal to acoustic, usually during the chorus. 13.The Virus of Life- This one I cant really put on what it's about. It's either talking about how a virus gets to someone, and I'm guessing this virus is lethal. Or, It's about a stalker trying to sneak up on someone and cause them harm. It's kind of a straight foreward song, dosen't really change pace or volume during the song. 14.Danger- Keep away- this one is talking about, I guess, the state of being in the singers mind. Basically, of how he has "A place in his mind". This song is alaso very straight foreward. It's quiet and not that loud. Dosen't even involve drums, bass, maybe one guitar. Mainly it's craig and sid I think that are doing the music in this one. The ending is kind of odd. It seems like it just ends in the middle of the song. Corey does a very amazing job on this album and the lyrics are great. He's able to use alot of other voices in the album.

I love this album, BUT, It's my least favorite of the four albums (Slipknot, Iowa, VOl.3 Subliminal voices, All Hope is gone). Among other artists, it's great. It just proves more that slipknot can do great. This was kind of an experimentation album, and they went a little bit mainstream with this one. But, they still did a good job, so I'm not gonna complain. If you're hesistating to buy it... BUY IT! IT's great, you wont regret it.