Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) review by Slipknot

• Released: May 25, 2004
Slipknot: Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

It sounds the same as the other Slipknot records.. but better. I didn't think it was possible for them to make a better record than Iowa and their self titled album, but the awesome metal band never fails to impress me. My favourite song on the album is Vermilion (Part 1). I love the way the song and te video follows the girl during her dead-like life where she has no connection to the world. It is an amazing song, as well as Vermilion (Part 2) which is an acoustic version, but with some of the lyrics changed. The video for this shows the girl in her final resting place and at peace at last. They are both truly amazing songs and I don't see anyone else covering them and being better than Slipknot at it. Track 4, Duality, is also an amazing song. Although the video for it creeps the hell out of my friend, I think it is amazing. The lyrics and tune to it is awesome and te fact that Slipknot got their fans to be in the video is so cool. The musicians in Slipknot, especially the guitarists Mick Thompson and Jim Root, really shine on this album. I think it's the first album Mick does an epic solo on and he does loads. They are such amazing guitarists and the amount of different styles they can play is incredible and, as I am a guitarist myself, they really inspire me. The drummer, Joey Jordison, also shines on the record with his outstanding drumming skills. In my opinion, he is the greatest drummer there has ever been and he plays so well on this album. Unlike other drummers, his playing isn't sloppy ta all and he plays so fast, it's unbelievable. All the percussionists on the album are epic as well. They give the songs more of a background sound and help Joey out with the beat, which not many other bands do. The vocal skills Corey uses are the best so far. He shows he can do thrash metal screaming as well as singing in a "normal" way.

The lyrics to Vol 3 are true Slipknot work. They are real personal and Corey sings them with so much emotion, it's outstanding. If you compare Slipknot to another band, you can see how much passion, hate, discomfort and emotion there is to the band and you can see exactly how they feel towards things. To haters or Slipknot, reading or listening to the lyrics would make you think that they are full of hate and depression, but they're not. They are just letting their anger o ut and making great music at the same time. The lyrics in this album inspire me so much and do for a lot more people as well.

Vol 3 is Slipknot's best album, by far. I love it so much and it's definately my best album EVER made. The sound of the songs are so amazing and all the stories the lyrics tell are so awesome, especially Vermilion which really shines on the record. The band really explore different sounds in this record by playing acoustic songs as well as their usual metal. The acoustic songs show a completely different side to Slipknot and can sometimes be more likeable than the other songs. This is a must buy album for any metal fan and is definately Slipknot's best record to date.

julian.v.hansen
    Their most brutal best produces and technical. What makes it even more brutal is the softer elemens, this i heavy music at it´s most heavy. What an album 14 songs of almost perfection. This is the slipknot album for the music fan that has a soft tooth for heavy and pounting metal music, and is open towards somethin else. From the technicality of Welcome, to the hurtful melodies of Prelude, Circle, Vemilion pt. 1 and 2. And Danger Keep Away..